Does a Trident make all the difference?

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been considering getting a Trident. My system is all Apex controlled, and it would be an easy (albeit, very expensive!) addition. So my question to the Trident owners is this - has it made a big difference in your success? Is it worth the cost of continued reagent purchasing? Should I get one?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering the same thing, even though I just set mine up today!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already test a few times a week, I would not claim it makes a "significant" difference.

However I love not needing to manually test anymore, and the increased stability should increase growth somewhat.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Trident has significantly improved my alk stability, and I have seen significant SPS growth for the past year with the Trident. Of course I can't prove the Trident is the cause since I didn't run a separate tank in parallel without a Trident. See my detailed thread for before and after graphs showing the change in daily swings after dialing in my Trident Controlled Dosing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-hands-on.596716/

OP
OP
Jax15

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Trident has significantly improved my alk stability, and I have seen significant SPS growth for the past year with the Trident. Of course I can't prove the Trident is the cause since I didn't run a separate tank in parallel without a Trident. See my detailed thread for before and after graphs showing the change in daily swings after dialing in my Trident Controlled Dosing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-hands-on.596716/
Thanks, will def check out your thread. Did you struggle at all keeping SPS alive before, and not after? Or more so only growth rates?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident has made absolutely no difference to the success of my tank .... it has, however, allowed me to spend less time testing and more time doing stuff I enjoy.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a huge difference in my reef keeping.
My Alk is only swinging about .2 dKH per day versus some swings that would go 1-2 dKH between my erratic testing times prior to getting the trident. I am seeing the pay off already!

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, absolutely. Testing is a chore to me l, but I’m obsessed with my levels.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely made a difference with me, mainly since my numbers are being tested throughout the day, which I never did before. It has also prevented several ALK spikes due to angry coral no longer consuming ALK.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got DOS and Trident. I haven’t set them up. My goal is to have automatic testing and Trident controlled dosing.

The only thing I am dosing right now is Red Sea AB+. I think I wed to start dosing Alk and Cal.

Do I need to run Trident and DOS independently for sometime before I tell Trident to control the dosing? Or, can I tell Trident to do it right from the start?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got DOS and Trident. I haven’t set them up. My goal is to have automatic testing and Trident controlled dosing.

The only thing I am dosing right now is Red Sea AB+. I think I wed to start dosing Alk and Cal.

Do I need to run Trident and DOS independently for sometime before I tell Trident to control the dosing? Or, can I tell Trident to do it right from the start?
Need to run the trident for about a week to determine usage.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God how did we ever keep corals before the trident?

Newbies getting into the hobby that setup a tank with it, will be quitting even sooner when all of a sudden their trident messes up(trust me anything made by humans, will eventually fail), and they have no idea on how to run a simple titration test.

Will it make a difference in your reefkeeping? Only if your lazy and don't like testing. This is not a lazy mans hobby if you want to keep high end corals and fish.

Only thing I see the trident doing is making it easier to perform tests, and you don't have to personally take the time out of your day to do them.

I personally cannot see spending the 1k(need to upgrade my apex also) to find out. My time testing is not worth that much to me.

U

User1

View Badges
Trident has made absolutely no difference to the success of my tank .... it has, however, allowed me to spend less time testing and more time doing stuff I enjoy.

This is really what it comes down to. Is it necessary? No. However, is it a time saver? Yes, it is.

In my personal case I do think it helps make a successful tank mainly because the testing is getting done vs me having to spend time doing it. But is it really necessary? No, but it is dang sure nice to have. I'm not going to lie :D

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me who depends on my family to read color shades on test kits, Trident is a must have.

I know there is Hanna Checker but they are known for the Alk test one and not so much for their Cal and Mag ones.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had mine about a week and since getting it I’ve been able to stabilize my alk which I always struggle with because I find it so hard to take the time to test.. worth every penny if you ask me.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I own a different brand, but it allows me to keep a SPS dominant reef tank since I travel for work. My SPS have never been healthier! Stability is king and the auto alk allows me to keep swings down to ~.1-.2 dkh. I won’t own a reef tank without one. A couple of lost SPS due to alk swings almost pays for the machine. Maintenance is the only caveat.....you have to keep the machine up to speed or it will turn on you;)

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back