Does Classical Music Spur Coral Growth?

zaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not familiar, numerous studies have conclusively found that classical music, and 432 hz frequency music played to plants to crops will immensely accelerate their growth,

anyone think this can apply to coral as well?
i couldn’t find anything on it.

Anyways I am trying it out on my nano setup.

IMG_5364.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related, but not classical music.

OP
OP
zaddy

zaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related, but not classical music.
thanks im gonna look into this

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately it’s short of a real study, no control group etc, but maybe my sheer familiarity with my own tank will allow me to discern if something out of the ordinary is going on
I know, lol. I am still interested though!

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
432 hz frequency music

I presume this refers to music where the A note is tuned to 432 Hz instead of the much more common 440 Hz.

So, just playing most classical music you have won't achieve your aims, I presume you are sourcing specially created music.

I have read some of the reasons people believe there something special about it, but I am quite sceptical (I won't go much further than to say some of the websites I read about it, are strange). One point however, about when they start to worry about only having integer frequencies for the notes. Analogue nature does give a hoot about our measurement system and whether it just happens to be an integer number measured in hertz (cycles per second), because nature does not have to concept of a second.

I suspect this thread may get a bit contentious. :)

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know... there been studies also where it was shown that the caretaker showing genuine loving emotions to a plant correlated with accelerated growth. Id really like to see a study into that vs anxiety directed toward a reef.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume this refers to music where the A note is tuned to 432 Hz instead of the much more common 440 Hz.
One point however, about when they start to worry about only having integer frequencies for the notes. Analogue nature does give a hoot about our measurement system and whether it just happens to be an integer number measured in hertz (cycles per second), because nature does not have to concept of a second.

I suspect this thread may get a bit contentious. :)
Lol! I looked into that stuff for a bit and it can sound convincing until you realize its just confirmation bias spurred on by people making a (somewhat meaningful) attempt to live a better life and then seeing it actually play out and deciding it was music, of all things, that caused it rather than a change in mindset.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classical music doesn't increase plant growth, the studies trying to show it were dubious and sensational in their time and it did not stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Picking out a specific frequency is even more baffling to me, especially when you consider that so much of the content of even a single instrument playing a single note is the overtones rather than the fundamental itself, and even if an instrument or an orchestra tunes to a 432Hz A, they're always playing other notes and in other octaves even when playing a piece with tons of As.

There is no evidence tones of a specific frequency stimulate growth of plants, animals, or much of anything (unless it's a standing wave in an object at resonance, I guess), and if there was, wouldn't every greenhouse and coral farm be doing it already?

Also, the amount of noise generated by normal aquarium equipment almost completely drowns out external noise shy of yelling or tapping on the glass. Yes, I've recorded this to see.

But hey, the arguments made for it aren't scientific, they're anecdotal, so I'll fight fire with fire: I'm a classical musician who practices daily about 2.5m from my aquarium, for the first year or so the coral was very slow to grow, in no small part to inadequate light (a single XR15 over an e170 isn't great for anything that needs moderate to high light and isn't top center), and in more recent time, it's been reasonably happy and grows at a normal rate. Nothing exceptional about growth, survival rates, coloration, spawning activity, polyp extension, alkalinity consumption, etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back