Does it smell?

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm immune to it, but recently the question came up of, will the house smell like the ocean? Fish?

I don't think I've ever had a smell come from the tanks before unless I was working on something like a filter or skimmer. But never during normal operation.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe I'm immune to it, but recently the question came up of, will the house smell like the ocean? Fish?

I don't think I've ever had a smell come from the tanks before unless I was working on something like a filter or skimmer. But never during normal operation.
Agreed. Only when working on the skimmer for me as well.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has a very sensitive nose. When I get too much organic build up she can smell it. Smells like the ocean/fishy she says.

A good vacuuming and replacing my carbon gets rid of it in 24 hours.
That sounds like a great skill to have!

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time my past tanks had a stink was during cycling when there was a decent amount of dieoff on the live rock and when my tank crashed. Otherwise the room they were in always had a pleasant ocean breeze smell.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im super sensitive to the smell of water. Ive been working around pools for years and have caught onto certain organics giving very distinct smells. I can smell the water in my fresh tank from across the room. Same with my salt tank. The interesting part is the oder from the pns i dose to feed the plankton does not build an oder but it has a stank. The tank smells like an ocean breeze for the most part.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has a very sensitive nose. When I get too much organic build up she can smell it. Smells like the ocean/fishy she says.

A good vacuuming and replacing my carbon gets rid of it in 24 hours.
Same here. I couldn't smell it, but she could. As I am setting up my next tank, I don't think I'll remind her. Is that wrong?!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back