Dosing 2 part with Balling part C - how much mag to dose?

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing BRS 2-part and Balling part C with 4 cups dissolved in a gallon of water at double the volume of the Alk and Calcium liquids. So if I dose 10ml Alk and 10 ml Cal then I dose 20 ml Balling part C. Based on my reading I think that's correct.

Do I also need to dose magnesium, or is it taken care of by dosing the Balling part C? If so, how much should I dose?

I've read the RMM post, but it's not clear to me based on that post.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 7.25 cups of part c per gallon of solution and dose that evenly with parts a and b(10ml in your case). This makes the gallons of solution fill and empty together. The brs balling package makes 6 gallons of abc, and 1 gallon of mag. So I just dose mag at 1/6 the rate of ABC. Seems to work just fine that way. I also add 160ml of A- to alk solution and 160ml of K+ to calcium. At that rate I need double the a- and k+ to last 6 gallons of abc

OP
OP
jnbrex

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balling Part C does not offset consumption of magnesium. Use 1/3 of my usual magnesium amount in this case.
By 1/3rd of your usual amount, do you mean 1/3rd of 5-10% as much magnesium as calcium? So 1.7%-3.3% as much magnesium as calcium?

OP
OP
jnbrex

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 7.25 cups of part c per gallon of solution and dose that evenly with parts a and b(10ml in your case). This makes the gallons of solution fill and empty together. The brs balling package makes 6 gallons of abc, and 1 gallon of mag. So I just dose mag at 1/6 the rate of ABC. Seems to work just fine that way. I also add 160ml of A- to alk solution and 160ml of K+ to calcium. At that rate I need double the a- and k+ to last 6 gallons of abc
Have you confirmed with testing that everything stays in balance?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always test parameters for anything you dose.

Regarding Part C, I mix it up at 2x the instructions so that I dose 1:1...makes things easier.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed with testing that everything stays in balance?
Yes with icp. Admittedly only a couple times a year, to verify everything is on track. Some traces come up low, none building up excessively. Been considering upping the a and k elements but haven't made any changes.. keep in mind that the entire point if pact c is to keep ions(?) In balance as salinity creeps up and you remove water to balance. I skim wet and it seems to be just right for my tank to maintain salinity/ balance

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back