Dosing all for reef

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all for reef in a much larger system (200 ml/day in a 250 gal system) and my experience is that this product is perfect if you check your parameters very frequently. I dose a few ml every hour and if a change is needed I increase or decrease by 0.1 or 0.2 (x24). If there is a problem that you want to correct fast (empty bottle, dead dosing pump). It is difficult to monitor because the effect of a larger dose will only be visible 24 to 36 hours later...

Agree with all of this. I dose 55ml/24 hours in an 80G total tank. I used to test daily with a Trident, but it crapped out. Parameters were always stable. Now, I’m just not testing much. The only time I get concerned is when I notice something like a dosing clog or empty bottle.
I agree also. My tank is a 180 gallon mixed reef display focused on sps. I use AFR with a doser. I’m currently at 55 ml per day. I test manually at least once per week and when I notice my Alk start to drop, I just increase the dose slightly. All my Alk, Cal, and Mag will rise together and then remain almost exactly the same every test until a few weeks later and I repeat the process.

But also if you’re starting AFR. It is recommended to adjust your parameters first with 2 part or etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant was (in my case at least), AFR ended up increasing my alkalinity without me wanting to. The maintenance daily dose I needed to keep everything stable had that affect, and my alkalinity is higher than I wish.

I’m confused. Doesn’t that simply mean your maintenance dose was too high?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. Doesn’t that simply mean your maintenance dose was too high?
I am not sure, I’m still testing. It took a really long time to increase (like a year). I’m trying to decrease it, but some corals don’t seem to appreciate it.

My dose was already low (15 ml for 75 gallons).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - it sounds like you have read the dosing instructions and used the calculator to get your initial dose. I don't want to cause any more confusion as you have a lot of various posts in flight but the reason why some suggested to get the parameters to your liking first then start with AFR is because that is what Tropic Marin suggests. Docs below. Depending on what salt you are using you can use any of the two parts to get the values to your liking then start with AFR.

You seem pretty set on your testing and dosing time so that is great. Keep that up. Know up front that TM AFR will not show an immediate result when testing for Alk. As noted earlier it can be anywhere from a couple hours to a day.

How often do you perform water changes? If frequent I'm surprised that it isn't keeping up unless the salt chemistry is lower than what you are keeping your display at. May be worth a thought to look at your salt parameters and see if that is enough. Especially since it is a small display. Not knocking that - just thinking if it may be another option.

1696119753613.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back