Dosing hydrogen peroxide: good or bad?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once fair counter though is we've established the 1:10 dosing method off nearly 100% controllable losses for nontargets across tanks, im meaning thousands of examples.

so math and the chem conversions may show an impact, but I could dose any galaxea tank right now via online preps after initial pics and the algae w die, and the lps will not, specifically galaxea, and it would probably have better polyp extension afterwards reminiscent of someone dumping a little iodide in the water to trigger an old school feeding response. we actually get reports of positives after the dose, not losses.

this why its both fun and challenging trudging through all the variables, but agreed its an oxidizer and unnatural in the concentrations we employ. There very well could be an environmental impact from systemic dosing, but regarding bacteria we find none, loss of benthics none *with our customized approaches after pics. im thinking the oceanic studies aren't xferring over to our tanks for some reason, some set of variables that's confounding or maybe not, but we are getting away with much 1:10 dosings for sure.

we find literally nothing bad in the 1:10 dosing other than clear water...lysmata cleaners cant take it, and the targets either succumb or not but the safety factor of the treatment is quite a big claim made, only going off these repeating outcomes. strange molecule indeed, I need to get a cool midlife crisis tat of it on my forearm

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the scientists didn't show corals died, which is what you say you are looking at. They just showed a negative effect on health which you may not notice unless you look as they did. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that and our treatments are pressed to get the work done and then stop, so we aren't duration pushing that's for sure.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In those works am not claiming to boost corals, I'm claiming your after pics will look like your before pics sans invader, mostly.

aware to keep my claims tight around published research...those guys say it hurts galaxea then it hurts galaxea.

an interesting detail of those 200 pages is that the cures are running independently of data pro or con for the matter.

We do eutrophication reversal, peroxide is a tiny tool, forced tank compliance is the real detail unapparent.

A blow torch and emersed treatments can get same ends, but that's crude.
( in utube vid lists)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agree on all that. I misunderstood your prior post.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I may have yours heh. Really glad you posted, I get to to link back +2 new references

I found your initial readings interesting

in 2009 in the reef central chemistry forum the poster boomer was discussing a similar thread where orp dropped instead of increased, and how that was paradoxical. You found the same measures by your own tanks feedback.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I may have yours heh. Really glad you posted, I get to to link back +2 new references

I found your initial readings interesting

in 2009 in the reef central chemistry forum the poster boomer was discussing a similar thread where orp dropped instead of increased, and how that was paradoxical. You found the same measures by your own tanks feedback.

Yes, there are quite a few such threads. No clear explanation. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my question then becomes: does orp rise and remain until dissociation when h202 is added to a test container of sw free of tankwide organics (typical detritus stores, elevations in the water due to life and bioloading) or does the mild organic loading in mixed sw itself still cause the drop? I wish I had a meter now ~

what if all these years when various pet stores were dumping h202 into crowded FO tanks during power outages to hopefully sustain, it was complexed so fast with organic compounds in the water it wasn't even really helpful in oxygenating the system. It's use as an intended o2 support mechanism is in place for finding but what if that was never the case, just an interesting take on these reduction readings going different than assumed

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my question then becomes: does orp rise and remain until dissociation when h202 is added to a test container of sw free of tankwide organics (typical detritus stores, elevations in the water due to life and bioloading) or does the mild organic loading in mixed sw itself still cause the drop? I wish I had a meter now ~

what if all these years when various pet stores were dumping h202 into crowded FO tanks during power outages to hopefully sustain, it was complexed so fast with organic compounds in the water it wasn't even really helpful in oxygenating the system. It's use as an intended o2 support mechanism is in place for finding but what if that was never the case, just an interesting take on these reduction readings going different than assumed

I do not think there's much chance that there's not a lot of O2 made from it when added to aquaria.

FWIW, the timed effect on ORP does not necessarily indicate presence or absence of the hydrogen peroxide. It could easily oxidize the metals that are actually detected by ORP, and those might stay oxidized longer than the peroxide is actually present. Since many folks see a drop, and peroxide itself should raise it, I think it is especially confounding to try to understand how long it is present this way.

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason to believe that the presence of some of those products could be cumulative?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason to believe that the presence of some of those products could be cumulative?

While some organics will likely accumulate, I'm not sure that the oxidation makes that any more likely. For many organics, it will be the reverse. None of the inorganic products should accumulate. :)

Romeo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some minor dino prob. Tank is 2-3 month old 45gal. Running with RO water.kessil 360 on it. Same set up dor sexond time have same issue. This time i dosed 10ml over night. Actually thought to dose 5ml but my friend suggest to dose 1ml/gal. Next day i say my montis bleached and hammer losed most of tissues 2 btas shrunken. Most of zoas didn’t open even gsp. Torches were doing good. Mushrooms didnt open. All mouth were swallon. Elegance weee half shrunk. Did 8 gal water change next day. Fee things getting better. How to brink them all? Should I continue doe in future? Why not vodka and sugar? Will UV helps?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some minor dino prob. Tank is 2-3 month old 45gal. Running with RO water.kessil 360 on it. Same set up dor sexond time have same issue. This time i dosed 10ml over night. Actually thought to dose 5ml but my friend suggest to dose 1ml/gal. Next day i say my montis bleached and hammer losed most of tissues 2 btas shrunken. Most of zoas didn’t open even gsp. Torches were doing good. Mushrooms didnt open. All mouth were swallon. Elegance weee half shrunk. Did 8 gal water change next day. Fee things getting better. How to brink them all? Should I continue doe in future? Why not vodka and sugar? Will UV helps?

IMO, the first step with dinos is to make sure nutrients are not too low. Do you have a measure of nitrate and phosphate?

Romeo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the first step with dinos is to make sure nutrients are not too low. Do you have a measure of nitrate and phosphate?

I have only 2 fish and stocked with corals last few weeks. Feeding once in a day. Only once so far to corals. I am doing 10-20% last few weeks.since we had algae outbreak when i was out of country fir a month.

chrismelb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% is 30 grams per L, or 0.88 M or 880,000 umol

1 ml per 10 gallons (37,854 mL) is a dilution of 1/37,854 fold.

So the final concentration is 880,000 uM/37,854 = 23 uM.

Hi Randy,

I could most likely be wrong here as you know far more than me about all this, but as we are dosing 1ml to 10gal, not 1 litre (880,000 uM), shouldn't the final concentration be 880uM/37,854 = 0.023um.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back