Downside for co2 scrubber?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pg dips to 7.6-7.8 mid day. And i was wondering if theres any downside to do a recirculating co2 scrubber to the skimmer? Any down sides for that? Do ph keeps going up non stop? Do the tank crash ? Does the skimmer overflow!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work as advertised. They remove co2. Most co2 issues are related to too much co2 in the air in the home, they usually are not really needed. Opening some windows can often take care of all pH issues. Even if you get a co2 scrubber, the media will last longer if you air out your house.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only drawback to a single pass scrubber is cost.

Using a full recirculating scrubber on a skimmer gives up the oxygenation capability, and I don’t recommend that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Using a full recirculating scrubber on a skimmer gives up the oxygenation capability, and I don’t recommend that.
could one remedy the lack of oxygenation from a recirculating skimmer with more surface agitation in the DT?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work as advertised. They remove co2. Most co2 issues are related to too much co2 in the air in the home, they usually are not really needed. Opening some windows can often take care of all pH issues. Even if you get a co2 scrubber, the media will last longer if you air out your house.
They work as advertised. They remove co2. Most co2 issues are related to too much co2 in the air in the home, they usually are not really needed. Opening some windows can often take care of all pH issues. Even if you get a co2 scrubber, the media will last longer

So basically its better to do it the other way is not the recirculating way?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could one remedy the lack of oxygenation from a recirculating skimmer with more surface agitation in the DT?

Maybe, but that may also drive in more CO2 and reduce the pH

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im about to connect my co2 scrubber do u know if i should remove the cap and connect the co2 scrubber directly? Or leave the cap on and connect the tube next to it?

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 39

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the air silencer. A scrubber also can act as a large air silencer so you do not need that at all.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t run a scrubber without recirculating as it would cost a fortune to operate and you will be changing media constantly.

I also would not run a scrubber recirculating because you don’t get oxygen exchange and you need to be very careful about crashing your tank, I’ve seen it happen here several times.

tldr scrubbers work but have drawbacks. Open a window or unplug your pH meter ;)

I ran one both ways and ultimately I decided to run my skimmer line outside.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From pump directly to scrubber is working. Keeps it 8.2-8.3
I’m assuming this way is alright, haven’t had any issues. Skimmer is set up for this from manufacturer.
IMG_1018.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t run a scrubber without recirculating as it would cost a fortune to operate and you will be changing media constantly.

I also would not run a scrubber recirculating because you don’t get oxygen exchange and you need to be very careful about crashing your tank, I’ve seen it happen here several times.

tldr scrubbers work but have drawbacks. Open a window or unplug your pH meter ;)

I ran one both ways and ultimately I decided to run my skimmer line outside.
I dont think thats a very good advice for me because i dont have windows in my basement to open lol. And also if i drill a hole to the wall and put a line outside. That wont do me any good either why u ask? Because my neighbors light fire in their backyard every other night. My tank will be filled with smoke smell and nuke itself

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From pump directly to scrubber is working. Keeps it 8.2-8.3
I’m assuming this way is alright, haven’t had any issues. Skimmer is set up for this from manufacturer.
IMG_1018.jpeg
How often so you change your media? And how much does it cost u?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back