Dragon Slayer Reef-MRC Hybrid Aquarium 400g system

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get back into the hobby once i bought this new home. I built a stand for a 20g aquarium, but knew it wouldnt scratch my itch. Then i built a stand for my 90g DIY tank, and then i knew i wanted a room divider tank. Instead of making the 90g work for a while then upgrade later, i decided to just wait and start with good gear so that

I have just ordered my dream tank luckily just before Covid hit, and now i am getting some progress picts of my MRC Hybrid aquarium. 96"x27"x27" ( i wanted to go 30x30, but had to compromise with my wife, so i mostly wanted the length and wont complain about 3 inches, lol ) This will be a white bottom PVC aquarium with an Acrylic euro brace framed. I wanted to get a Royal Exclusive roller mat sump, however 2 things were a hindrance. With the Pandemic, the shipping was highly unreasonable from Germany for the Sump. The other factor is I wanted to support an American company, so I decided to get a MRC isump too. 72"x20x21" with a custom logo back lit by LED's right in front of the skimmer section.

Gear (what i have now for this build)
Lighting: 3 Oprhek V4's (in white) I may add 2 Kessils in between the Orpheks later depending on aquascape.
Flow: 2-Abyzz 200 for 2 closed loops & 2-Tunze Stream 3's that will be in the Tunze rock
Return pump: Abyzz 200
Zeo Pump - Red Dragon 5 eco 25watt
Skimmer: Royal Exclusiv Supermarin 250
Reactors: Zeovit- Avast Marine Vibe 4l, 2 MRC media reactors
Dastaco Calcium Reactor (A3)
Stand: I have tslot aluminum stand that i ordered directly from 8020.net That i will be wrapping in wood.
Sump: Custom MRC isump 72"x20"x21"h
Controller: GHL I am ditching all my Neptune gear to upgrade to GHL and a cleaner looking system. This was not an easy decision.
Heater: Aqualogic Cygnet Mini 1.0 KW inline titanium Heater. (first time using this, so we shall see)
Chiller: I have my previous JBJ here, but will need to upgrade this i am sure.
UV: none yet, but will get one before adding my tang gang.
Water Change Station - DIY wooden tanks ~200g each.
Dragonslayerreef Logo_BLUE_Clear Background hi_Rez-01.jpg

This was the logo i cam up with as i have been preparing for this build for a very long time. The house we purchased needed a lot of renovations, but with an aquarium even the remodel stage is when you prepare for an aquarium. Here are some early pictures of the home renovation.

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Although these dimensions are off i ended up opening the entire room, for an open room concept and went with a room divider aquarium. But had to leave that little corner there for structural support of the main beam supporting the roof now. I will make sure and post some "After Pictures" of the house.

When i was building i ran my water change pipe in the wall and some electrical including an Apex usb wire through the wall to controll lights on the cieling, but after doing this i decided to change my controller for this build and go with GHL. I am fed up with the orange, the wire mess Apex provides, and i didnt want a "controller wall" on this build. I prefer a shelf where everything will look amazing wtih GHL items stacked on each other.

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

White pex is coming from the garage where my water change station will be.

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

cieling.

IMG_3776.JPG

Sadly at the time of renovations, i didnt think about running dosing lines for the Automatic water change system using my GHL Maxi, however, before the aquarium is up and running i will have to run them through the attic to make sure i still have a good clean look. (APEX usb, Ethernet wire, and lighting outlet wireing. )
IMG_4351.JPG

My old 5ft aquarium stand, giving me brain storming ideas, it is placed 8ft from the little corner, so this is how far my aquarium will be into the room. Blue tape on the floor outlining all these crazy ideas. (this is before kitchen cabinets) This should give me about 33 inches of wall behind the aquarium and about 5ft of room divider aquarium to see through.

IMG_5267.JPG

This is the "after picture" before moving in with furniture. This little "corner" is begging for an aquarium :)

I am sure as the tank gets closer there will be better pictures for the aquarium in place.

1598217987796.png

Blueprint drawing, outlining where i want the Closed loop locations.

1598218039089.png

Sump blue print. I knew i was going to go with Zeovit, so i wanted a lot of dosing holes, so i opted for 12, lol i think i am at least 4 short. Sadly with KZ products you want to use all of them.

For now i will show my progress pictures. from MRC on the build.

a428519b-efdf-4e02-93ff-92432ad8cc13.JPG

Clear Acrylic top looks amazing with the white overflow.
I admit i could not find many pictures or videos of the MRC Hybrid aquariums, so i intend on starting my youtube channel once the aquarium is on the way. So please make sure and follow/subscribe to me on my channel. Thank you in advance. (youtube channel click here)
IMG_9182.jpg

I wanted to highlight the fancy detail around the overflow. I will be doing 2 closed loops with 2 Abyzz 200 pumps for circulation. I will also have 2 Tunze Stream 3 pumps, with battery backups for those rare scenarios when the power goes out. I have not received any pictures of the bottom yet, with the Closed loop holes drilled.

Now the sump!!! I am so excited for this thing!

IMG_9149.PNG

Logo wall cut out.

7def8c01-ef99-4c8c-b5e7-1dac48760bdf.JPG

Glue up phase.

7cc834a0-a988-4f38-8810-7a05a54c24a9.JPG

Water Test and blue seems in! looking so pretty!

1ba94323-ef40-4a77-b078-f4957e42b23b.JPG

Skimmer. Red Dragon SM250

This is all i have for now, i look forward to answering questions and posting more soon.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! heck yeah! sounds like we did a think with a new house and remodel with a reef tank in mind. i'll admit you went all out. me I just went with a small peninsula the red sea 650P as I have a basement under and the whole reason we had to do extensive reno work was 4" slant in the floor.....so yeah could not go to crazy.

that sump looks expensive...errrrr I mean nice! post up some tank pic when MRC sends them over.

oh and stop by my build thread just started it the other day too so its very young.

PS nice flooring. we had that color picked out then 6 months into the reno the GF changed her mind to warm the house up. ( we get lots of snow up here ) I like your better :/

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! heck yeah! sounds like we did a think with a new house and remodel with a reef tank in mind. i'll admit you went all out. me I just went with a small peninsula the red sea 650P as I have a basement under and the whole reason we had to do extensive reno work was 4" slant in the floor.....so yeah could not go to crazy.

that sump looks expensive...errrrr I mean nice! post up some tank pic when MRC sends them over.

oh and stop by my build thread just started it the other day too so its very young.

PS nice flooring. we had that color picked out then 6 months into the reno the GF changed her mind to warm the house up. ( we get lots of snow up here ) I like your better :/
I will check out your build thread for sure! I admit the colors in the house are all my wife, the deal was, she could pic all the decorations as long as I can get my tank, so I am glad that is how it worked between us.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going to go with a red Sea Reefer as i likes my 450 before, I also thought of a WaterBox however no one makes an 8 foot tank in those ready-made kits. I really wanted at least 5 ft to show for my room divider section. And do t worry more pics to come as I get them.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
admit the colors in the house are all my wife, the deal was, she could pic all the decorations as long as I can get my tank, so I am glad that is how it worked between us.

I pretty much made the same deal with the GF. funny how that works eh?
yeah its a real bummer the WB or RS dont make a 8 footer. I am guessing they want to keep the rimless thing going.

26ACEF0F-5BDF-479E-BEB6-C0766D96240E.jpeg
26ACEF0F-5BDF-479E-BEB6-C0766D96240E.jpeg
Water change station. (1 of2)

nice! fallowing the build for sure now...even breaking out the pond shield. I was thinking of a DIY sump when/if I get to have a large fish only in the basement. plywood tank even crossed my mind.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you working directly with MRC?
I am working with a company out of Georga, are you looking for a tank or product? I can give you my guys number he has been amazing to work with. Send me a personal message if you want his Info.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much made the same deal with the GF. funny how that works eh?
yeah its a real bummer the WB or RS dont make a 8 footer. I am guessing they want to keep the rimless thing going.

nice! fallowing the build for sure now...even breaking out the pond shield. I was thinking of a DIY sump when/if I get to have a large fish only in the basement. plywood tank even crossed my mind.
I admit this is the first time I am trying this, so wish me luck!

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is gonna be one awesome tank once complete. Following to live vicariously through you.
@El_Guapo13 thank you for the follow! I didn’t think this dream would come true either, but it has been a long grind, and I can’t wait for this build to happen! Thanks again for your comment!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks high end for sure !!! I know I going to be up late into all hours of the night helping you with this monster ! But is going to be fun times !! Looks clean in white! Can’t wait to see in person soon !!

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second tank is glued and screwed! (Well missing the bottom, I’ll do that tomorrow)
6CD99D83-3E3A-4364-ADD7-FFFC52BB3E86.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back