Dragon wrasse tank

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if I could do a species only tank with the dragon wrasse. Tank is only 60 but I've been told that should work. Is this true?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that is a 12" fish when full grown. I would think a 6' tank would be minimum. I would also worry about your rock structure they hunt inverts by moving rocks in nature.

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that is a 12" fish when full grown. I would think a 6' tank would be minimum. I would also worry about your rock structure they hunt inverts by moving rocks in nature.
It sounded odd to me as well but I didn't know if maybe they were less open swimming than other wrasses and that's why the guy said it could work. I more than likely won't get it just wanted to know if this guy was full of it or not.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an adult, a 60 gallon wouldn't be close to big enough. A grow out for a small juvenile would be fine, especially a 4' 55 gallon, for example. I would plan on about an 8"+ fish that is constantly hunting.

Here is the fishbase page: https://www.fishbase.us/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5610

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t nearly as active swimmers as most other wrasse. In the wild they tend to stick to a small satellite coral rock. Given that they don’t need massive tanks like similar sized wrasse but I would still go with a 4ft at least. Mine is in a 6’ but has grown very slowly and hardly uses half the tank.

They do need complex rock structures that are glued down to sit in and loose small rocks and shells to play with.

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t nearly as active swimmers as most other wrasse. In the wild they tend to stick to a small satellite coral rock. Given that they don’t need massive tanks like similar sized wrasse but I would still go with a 4ft at least. Mine is in a 6’ but has grown very slowly and hardly uses half the tank.

They do need complex rock structures that are glued down to sit in and loose small rocks and shells to play with.
Noted thing is the 125 hasn't got anything in it and I'm really debating getting and undulated trigger which in that case no wrasse or any tank mate. So I'll just stay away. I was looking into the seagrass wrasse but can't find a lot of info on them. I believe they are similar to the dragon in terms of flipping rocks and digging but in a smaller package.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted thing is the 125 hasn't got anything in it and I'm really debating getting and undulated trigger which in that case no wrasse or any tank mate. So I'll just stay away. I was looking into the seagrass wrasse but can't find a lot of info on them. I believe they are similar to the dragon in terms of flipping rocks and digging but in a smaller package.
The 65 would be a good tank for the dragon to grow in. IMO dragon wrasse are one of the funnest fish in the hobby.

I’ve never had a sea grass but they are fairly closely related. They are often a drab brown though and not the vibrant green you see in photos. At least the ones I have seen have all been brown. Green may me it’s male colors though.

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 65 would be a good tank for the dragon to grow in. IMO dragon wrasse are one of the funnest fish in the hobby.

I’ve never had a sea grass but they are fairly closely related. They are often a drab brown though and not the vibrant green you see in photos. At least the ones I have seen have all been brown. Green may me it’s male colors though.
How long do you think he'd have in the 60 I feed twice a day frozen pe mysis, clams, shrimp, squid, occasionally algae

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back