Drain Hydros iV into ATO?

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be a bad idea to drain the Hydros iV into my ATO?

I have a 33g tank and Hydros advises not to drain the iV back into the tank for aquariums under 50g. Their documentation doesn't say why, but I assume it's because of the acidity of the solution at the time the alkalinity test is complete. If the iV is drained into the ATO, then the ATO water would become more acidic over time.

Could this cause issues or is it a good idea?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be a bad idea to drain the Hydros iV into my ATO?

I have a 33g tank and Hydros advises not to drain the iV back into the tank for aquariums under 50g. Their documentation doesn't say why, but I assume it's because of the acidity of the solution at the time the alkalinity test is complete. If the iV is drained into the ATO, then the ATO water would become more acidic over time.

Could this cause issues or is it a good idea?
I have a 42 gallon tank and I drain it back into the tank and I test 4 times a day. Putting it in the ATO it would still end up in the tank but there is no bacteria in the ATO reservoir to break it down so it may keep increasing the level in the ATO if you are not using as much ATO water as the wast from the iV. It will be a little more than 200ml that get put in you ATO each test. You would still have to add enough saltwater to the tank to makeup for the amount removed for testing.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back