Dreaded Nova 20 Micro Bubbles

illprobablykilleverything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m beside myself. I’ve searched this forum and the net up and down but still have not found a solution. Here’s where I’m at so far:

• I have a Nuvo 20 peninsula AIO by innovative marine
  • 1st chamber = Media basket with filter floss in top 1/3 space and a small bag of Chemi Pure Blue in the bottom 2/3’s
  • I was running a custom refugee basket in chamber, two, but have completely pulled it out because of this issue
  • 2nd Chamber = Empty for that reason
  • 3rd Chamber = Mighty Jet 326 GPH (intake facing the bevel chamber??? I believe it’s called? Or chambers 1 and 2. Also have a thermometer in there with my ATO sensor
  • I am not running a protein skimmer
So that’s my set up. Do I need to slow my pump down? There doesn’t seem to be anything impeding flow through chambers one and two and no matter what I do meet innovative marines half inch to 1 inch water drop off over the bevel from Chambers 2 to 3 I can’t seem to figure out how to get water to flow through the first two chambers more quickly; or, slow down my return pump. This would be less than ideal since my return pump provides a lot of great flow to my tank through the dual nozzle that comes with the tank.

Here’s a summary of the actual issue:
  • I am running into the same issue that others have had where my return pump is returning water faster to the display than the third chamber is filling up with water.
  • I’ve turned my pump down to 1.1, it’s lowest setting
  • Because the water in my third chamber continuously drops low, my ATO empties, and fills my tank with its entire reservoir of R/O water
  • This leads to my display’s water level reach to nearly the top of the display to the point where it would flow into the AIO chamber. Right now, my water level is higher than the overflow slits.
  • TLDR; my displays water level is about to overflow into the AIO chamber because water is exiting the third chamber faster than it’s refilling. This triggers, my ATO to add an entire reservoir of our water until the display reaches max level. Only Then, does the drop off return to less than an inch from chamber 2 to 3.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m beside myself. I’ve searched this forum and the net up and down but still have not found a solution. Here’s where I’m at so far:

• I have a Nuvo 20 peninsula AIO by innovative marine
  • 1st chamber = Media basket with filter floss in top 1/3 space and a small bag of Chemi Pure Blue in the bottom 2/3’s
  • I was running a custom refugee basket in chamber, two, but have completely pulled it out because of this issue
  • 2nd Chamber = Empty for that reason
  • 3rd Chamber = Mighty Jet 326 GPH (intake facing the bevel chamber??? I believe it’s called? Or chambers 1 and 2. Also have a thermometer in there with my ATO sensor
  • I am not running a protein skimmer
So that’s my set up. Do I need to slow my pump down? There doesn’t seem to be anything impeding flow through chambers one and two and no matter what I do meet innovative marines half inch to 1 inch water drop off over the bevel from Chambers 2 to 3 I can’t seem to figure out how to get water to flow through the first two chambers more quickly; or, slow down my return pump. This would be less than ideal since my return pump provides a lot of great flow to my tank through the dual nozzle that comes with the tank.

Here’s a summary of the actual issue:
  • I am running into the same issue that others have had where my return pump is returning water faster to the display than the third chamber is filling up with water.
  • I’ve turned my pump down to 1.1, it’s lowest setting
  • Because the water in my third chamber continuously drops low, my ATO empties, and fills my tank with its entire reservoir of R/O water
  • This leads to my display’s water level reach to nearly the top of the display to the point where it would flow into the AIO chamber. Right now, my water level is higher than the overflow slits.
  • TLDR; my displays water level is about to overflow into the AIO chamber because water is exiting the third chamber faster than it’s refilling. This triggers, my ATO to add an entire reservoir of our water until the display reaches max level. Only Then, does the drop off return to less than an inch from chamber 2 to 3.
We've heard this issue a few times when using filter floss. It can clog really quickly and backs up the water. This slows the water into chamber 2 and 3 which causes ATO's to get falsely triggered. If you want to test this theory, remove the filter floss for a day and see if that fixes the issue.

IM Team

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've heard this issue a few times when using filter floss. It can clog really quickly and backs up the water. This slows the water into chamber 2 and 3 which causes ATO's to get falsely triggered. If you want to test this theory, remove the filter floss for a day and see if that fixes the issue.

IM Team
What do you recommend replacing it with for particle removal, @Innovative Marine? The filter sock for chamber two is reversed and faces upward. All the debris goes around the sock.

I have a chemi pure blue in the bottom chamber, but what do you recommend for top media basket spot, and for chamber 2? I was running a microfuge but pulled it out thinking that was the issue.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get a few days out of the floss no problems imo.

I have a the uns 90la which is a pretty similar peninsula and i had to slow down the return pump speed. The actual teeth for the return wouldn't let enough water flow though giving me the same issue of a high water level in the display

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get a few days out of the floss no problems imo.

I have a the uns 90la which is a pretty similar peninsula and i had to slow down the return pump speed. The actual teeth for the return wouldn't let enough water flow though giving me the same issue of a high water level in the display
Yeah, I’m at the lowest setting and still, I’m literally having to take one of the return nozzles and point it over the wall, literally. The most janky fix, but today I’m going to go through and clean everything. I’m still curious what IM says is the preferred media in their media basket if not filter floss

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, @Innovative Marine, what do you recommend? The filter balls?
We recommend the fiber balls as they can pick up particles as small as 20 micron but will not clog like traditional filter pads. Another great benefit is that they can be washed usually 2-3 times and used again before change outs.

High Performance Fiber Ball

High performance, non clogging, mechanical filter media for both freshwater and marine aquariums. Easy to remove & replace, fiber balls collect floating detritus & other toxic particles in water.

• Micron Size: 20-50um
  • Density: 1.38/cm3
  • Filling Density: 60-80kg/m 3
  • Filtering Velocity: 20-85m/h
  • Waste Stopping Quantity: 6kg/m3
  • Moisture Absorption: 0.4-0.5%
  • Voidage: 96%
  • Specific Area: 3000m2/m3

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back