Dreaming of acropora… >_< Coolest stag horn?

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to sound silly but last night I had a dream of a rainbow stag horn acro. I love the shape / growth pattern of stags but I feel like their color palette is pretty bland (greens, purples, low fluorescence)

Therefore.. Was curious if anyone has ever seen / heard of any stag acros with unique coloration (i.e. yellows, reds, pastels, oranges, pinks.. etc)

Would probably look quite rediculous.. as it did in my dream :grinning-face-with-sweat::zany-face:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some stag horn like type corals such as Rommels Rainbow which is red. Sanjays pink stag has pink coralites. Red Robin stag comes to mind but it is bland to me.

The nicest ones are blue and can be very flourescent.
Copps Hoeki, Tyree Ultimate Stag, Lime in the Sky are a few of my favorites but aren't the colors you are seeking.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to sound silly but last night I had a dream of a rainbow stag horn acro. I love the shape / growth pattern of stags but I feel like their color palette is pretty bland (greens, purples, low fluorescence)

Therefore.. Was curious if anyone has ever seen / heard of any stag acros with unique coloration (i.e. yellows, reds, pastels, oranges, pinks.. etc)

Would probably look quite rediculous.. as it did in my dream :grinning-face-with-sweat::zany-face:
ive seen a rainbow stag from eurocorals, looks pretty nice

1a8af116-f0b5-42c7-bfea-aaba8617255e.jpeg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tonycass12 u have some eye candy esp the red and yellow stag. I have a Battlestag frag and a few other stags in the display. I'm a fan.
I've got a good mix of stags spread across the tops of my scape. Biggest so far is a blueberry stag and then the green slimer. I can't wait for the yellow tip and the blue matrix to start growing out and fill in the water column above the rocks. Hopefully in the next 6 months to a year they start becoming a bit more visible, ill probably have to trim the blueberry back because it's already getting so big.
20231112_160933.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Robin stag is probably as close as you are going to get. It gets better looking with more light.

If you think that true Greg Carroll Ultimate Stag (tyree) is bland, then probably no other stag is going to be good enough. This thing shines under 14k light with whiteish inner, blue and then bright green. It is amazing. Doubt it looks good under heavy blues, though.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SniperSPS(Hugo's) Rainbow Stag
1700038938884.png

Super hairy piece, mostly pink but sometimes has some yellow as it grows out

Yeah, that's the Sanjay pink stag or sometimes called Texas pink stag...........it goes for about $25-45 around here. Grows very fast..............gotta blast it with lights so the brown polyps turn more white which will really accentuate the pink more.

texas pink stag by Big E 52, on Flickr

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few more of my favorites for stag lovers--

Lime in the Sky- there are a ton of fakes out there that are just green stags with blue growth tips. The OG is hard to find..............the branches will have the blue throughout the whole colony.
lime sky112412.JPG

Tyree Ultimate Blue (Greg Carroll)

Another one that is faked a lot........look for the blue through the complete branch as it grows.
ultimate stag11612.JPG

ultimate blue stag two.jpg

Rommels Watermelon-- mine seem to grow straight up like a stag, but sometime they need thinning so it doesn't table. Hardy fast grower in that $45-50 range too.
Rommels Watermelon 041122.jpg

Copps Hoeki...........freakin beautiful and intense colors....again 45-50 for large 2" sized frags like the others.
Copps Hoeki 100923 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purple Plasma (Acropora Horrida) is very nice when you get the deep purple body and the minty green polyps.
purple plasma R 070723.jpg

The Aussie Horridas are really sweet............with the snow white polyps

Horrida white polyp R.jpg

Jason Fox Barney is unique-------------majenta, with white branchlets and green tips. Pic per @Waters
Barney tom R.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Plasma (Acropora Horrida) is very nice when you get the deep purple body and the minty green polyps.
purple plasma R 070723.jpg

The Aussie Horridas are really sweet............with the snow white polyps

Horrida white polyp R.jpg

Jason Fox Barney is unique-------------majenta, with white branchlets and green tips. Pic per @Waters
Barney tom R.jpg
Thank you for sharing.... That Aussie Horridas is looking pretty amazing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back