Dry Rock Question

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This eases my mind, thanks so much, I got a kiddo looking forward to some fish.

I’ll have the ATO going and I’ll get her to do a water change a week. They are coming from KP aquatics UPS overnight Air. When I spoke to Phil he said they would be wet. I will know more when they arrive.

Also, should I run any lights while I’m gone?
Kind of depends whats on the rock when you get it. If there is macroalgae or coralline on it then yes run lights if you want it to stay alive. If no or not then no lights is fine. Running lights does increase the risk of having other algaes also.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends whats on the rock when you get it. If there is macroalgae or coralline on it then yes run lights if you want it to stay alive. If no or not then no lights is fine. Running lights does increase the risk of having other algaes also.
I appreciate it, there is some coralline I might try to keep alive. Overall rock looked ok. UPS didn't deliver until 9:15 PM last night so I figured it was about 30 hrs. from the time it was dropped off until it got to me. Was wrapped in wet paper that was still damp when I opened the bag. Didn't smell that bad last night, has a faint smell this morning before I left to go to work. See what more has happened today when I get home from work.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it, there is some coralline I might try to keep alive. Overall rock looked ok. UPS didn't deliver until 9:15 PM last night so I figured it was about 30 hrs. from the time it was dropped off until it got to me. Was wrapped in wet paper that was still damp when I opened the bag. Didn't smell that bad last night, has a faint smell this morning before I left to go to work. See what more has happened today when I get home from work.
Wait... did you not get it into the water when it arrived last night? It needs to get into the water ASAP before more die-off occurs, really.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... did you not get it into the water when it arrived last night? It needs to get into the water ASAP before more die-off occurs, really.
I apologize, I didn't explain that very well. Rock was rinsed in saltwater last night as soon as it arrived and placed into the fully operational display tank. Sorry man, I didn't explain that very well.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, I didn't explain that very well. Rock was rinsed in saltwater last night as soon as it arrived and placed into the fully operational display tank. Sorry man, I didn't explain that very well.
No worries, just wanted to make sure... You can run your skimmer (If you haven't already) to aid in the collection of anything dying off, and run some carbon to help get rid of any smell. Water should look crystal clear in a day or two, and the stuff dying will help feed the bacterial colonies in the rock for a week or two. After that, start shadow feeding. And for now, just run your lights at a lower intensity just to keep the coralline and other photosynthetics alive. You may end up with some algae, so getting a cleaning crew in there will help with what's to come. I know you're on limited time before you head out of town, but try getting a package for your tank from ReefCleaners to arrive before you leave.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, just wanted to make sure... You can run your skimmer (If you haven't already) to aid in the collection of anything dying off, and run some carbon to help get rid of any smell. Water should look crystal clear in a day or two, and the stuff dying will help feed the bacterial colonies in the rock for a week or two. After that, start shadow feeding. And for now, just run your lights at a lower intensity just to keep the coralline and other photosynthetics alive. You may end up with some algae, so getting a cleaning crew in there will help with what's to come. I know you're on limited time before you head out of town, but try getting a package for your tank from ReefCleaners to arrive before you leave.
I really appreciate it man, that's some great info. I appreciate all who have taken the time to help. This is a great group of people.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back