DTURNER'S Nuvo Fusion 40g Build with Radion XR30w GEN3 LEDs

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just upgraded from a JBJ 28 cube to a Nuvo Fusion 40 all in one rimless tank. This tank is awesome! 8mm thick low iron glass makes this tank look sweet. I also purchased a Radion XR30w gen 3 LED fixture. This is the most high end light fixture I've ever owned and I am loving it! So worth the money.

So here's my specs:

TANK: Nuvo Fusion 40 gallon all in one tank.

STAND: Nuvo Fusion marching stand. This thing is particle board and I was pretty irritated setting it up but I will admit it complements the tank very well.

LIGHTING: Radion XR30W Gen 3 LEDs. (Non-pro). I've owned LEDs before but nothing like these! Also have the eco smart live box and RMS mount.

SKIMMER: Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer. So far it's pulling out some good foam. Working way better than it did on my JBJ.

POWERHEAD: 1- Jebao RW-4 wave maker powerhead. I currently have it on the W1 setting on the lowest speed. This thing is incredible. Especially for the money spent.

CONTROL: Neptune Apex lite controller with 2 EB8 power strips. PH and Temp probes. Auto Leak Detector module with solid surface probe (just in case skimmer decides to go nuts, God forbid).

AUTO TOPOFF: AutoAqua Smart ATO. This thing is great. Comes with a tiny powerful pump that fits in most containers. Will be buying a collapsible 5 gallon water container for reservoir.

RETURN PUMP: Stock 476 gph pump. It's dead silent and powerful. Very pleased with the quality.

LIVEROCK: Roughly 35 pounds of liverock. Most of which was originally dry rock from reef cleaners. You'll notice in pictures that the rock is fairly white. I must've put some of my more aged rock on the bottom, oh well.

OVERFLOW BASKETS: Using the stock overflow baskets now with the stock mechanical and chemical sponges. I will probably upgrade to the custom caddy or inTank media baskets down the road. This will suffice for now.

LIVESTOCK: Right now I am running fish-less as I think I got a parasite in my system from a Petco neon goby. I have no idea what parasite it is and this goby looks healthy but it's killed several nice fish that would have done great otherwise (they were eating well). So I am going to go fish-less for about 6 weeks. It's going to be hard! Luckily I have a lot of coral to hold me over.

MEDIA REACTORS: None at the moment but I will have a midsize IM media reactor by the New Year. My plan is to run BRS high capacity GFO. I will likely just stick to BRS ROX 0.8 carbon in the overflow baskets.

Right now I have about 4-5 margarita snails and about 5 blue leg hermits. I also have 1 peppermint shrimp for aptasia control and 1 blood red fire shrimp. I hardly ever see the fire shrimp outside of feeding time but he's cool as hell and doesn't bother any corals (like some shrimp).

I have a pretty fair amount of SPS, LPS, collector zoanthids, and random other corals in my collection. This is a collection over 3.5 years old from my first saltwater tank. I haven't glued anything to the rockwork yet but plan to do that in next couple days. So please forgive the mess you'll see in the pic below. I will post more pics later once my water clears up and the corals are glued. (Also once sand is added and settled).

That's all I have for now. Will keep this as updated as I can. This is the most excited I've been about a build so I can't wait to post my progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pic... Now that corals are glued. Still need to glue some remaining corals and add sand. Should transform the way it looks.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the AIO tanks. Nice clean set up! If you have a parasite in that goby you should take it out and treat it. Other wise you will keep running into the same problem with all the new fish you put in the system. Fish are good and they help feed your corals

kopaczjm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion makes a great light. I've seen some great tanks with metal halide, but for the cost, the efficiency, and other factors like electricity cost, weight, and heat generated... high end LED's are tough to beat. great looking tank though,can't wait to see what it looks like in a month!

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! And don't worry, the goby is not in this setup, he's in quarantine for at least 6 weeks. I'm running the tank totally fishless for 6 weeks to starve out whatever parasite is floating around in the water. I'll be treating the neon goby before he goes back. I will post more pictures as I progress.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pictures of tank taken tonight. Some zoas aren't too happy with the move and I may lose a couple.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little closeup of my skimmer. Aquamaxx HOB-1. This skimmer is working so much better on this tank than my old JBJ 28 cube. No fish in there yet it still pulls a little organics out from feeding corals. I rigged up the output drain to empty into my first chamber which has helped tremendously with my microbubbles. Got the idea from a guy in another forum.

I'm anxiously awaiting a shipment of some real nice collector zoas this Thursday. Will post back when they open up in case you're a zoa fan.

Some random corals:

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great , i have the same tank but running a single puck gen 2 pro. Looking foward to your progress!

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment! I've made some pretty big changes since my last update. Tossed out some old rock and added some new matured live rock from a previous system. Will add some more pics next time I get a chance.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425913617.400782.jpg

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, i see you now have sand no more BB :eek:oh:, Love your skimmer i have a ghost on mine and i don't believe its pulling out as much as something like yours would. Would be interesting to know what lighting schedule your running, do you have a par meter that you know what your corals are seeing from you Radion?

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, i see you now have sand no more BB :eek:oh:, Love your skimmer i have a ghost on mine and i don't believe its pulling out as much as something like yours would. Would be interesting to know what lighting schedule your running, do you have a par meter that you know what your corals are seeing from you Radion?

Yeah I ditched the bare bottom look. I wasn't a big fan of it.

My skimmer has been tough to figure out but I think it's finally working right. Had some issues going on with it that I didn't notice

I run my lights from about 4pm till 1am. My max percentage is 35%. I am using the coral color mode (can't remember the right name) that was preprogrammed and I adjusted the colors just a tad to my liking.

No par meter unfortunately. I would be really curious to know myself. I had the light on closer to 45% and I think it was a bit too much. Maybe I'll adjust it a little closer to 40% as time goes on.

I've had some minor algae issues and I'm starting to dose vinegar as of yesterday. starting super slow and on a lower dosage than this guide recommends:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm way behind on tank updates. Here I am at almost 11 months of this tank being set up. Here's a video I shot recently:

Some recent pics:

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank still up and running strong?

I broke it down a couple months ago and upgraded to a 70 gallon tank. I had a lot of trouble keeping nitrates down in that tank. Even when my amount of fish dropped to 4 I still had 50+ nitrates while doing weekly 30% water changes. I only fed every other day (not too heavily). It seemed like my protein skimmer was useless. I did everything I could to adjust it but it never got a solid skim going.

brahnan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the 70 gallon going? Do you have pics of it. Your 40 was amazing

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of it (needed a gel filter but didn't have one) that I took a few weeks ago. Right now it's at my parent's house and I need to move it to house I just bought. I will make a new thread and link to it here when I get it up and running. Thanks for your interest!

7CE777E9-148E-48CA-96F6-90DC20899C2F_zpsi3yypngu.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back