Dumb newbie water change question!

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm changing the water in my tank for the first time. Where do I put the newly mixed water? Into the tank or the sump? I don't wanna kill everything! TIA!

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I've drained about 15% water and just need to know where the new stuff goes. [emoji38]

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the new water is at the same temperature and salinity, it doesn't matter. I personally take out of the DT and put new water in the sump. Again, matched temp and salinity important.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been mixed and room temp and everything for 2 days. Salinity is almost exact. Yay! Thank you!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the less invasive the happier everything stays. I too remove from the DT and replace via the sump. 1x monthly I'll remove from the sump just to clean out any detritus buildup [emoji2]

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put it in the sump next time.

Another question. I am going to set up a QT. Would it be ok to put the used water in there? Or would it be essentially dirty unusable water? I'm worried about the nitrates etc.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I saw a video on YouTube where the guys said he did that. It seems like a good idea, but yeah...oh well. I'll work it out. I have a while to go anyway. [emoji305][emoji245][emoji224][emoji225][emoji226]

Paulday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well is the qt tank permanent or temp. If your going to setup temp then yes use water from your dt tank and refill the dt tank reason y is for the bacteria. U don't want to have to wait 6 weeks for nitrogen cycle every time. If it's permanent at tank then pull water from dt first time for bacteria seeding and make water for the rest of time

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my two cents.....use fresh-made water. You're going to be fighting nitrates anyway, why start out with nitrates when you don't need to. The DT water carries very little bacteria. You'll get your bacteria by first placing the filter media from the HOB filter in your DT....or even run this filter in your sump/DT to seed the filter pad. When it's well seeded, move to the QT/Hospital tank. Use fresh-made saltwater and test for nitrates frequently. You shouldn't have rock or sand in this tank....just some pipes or other plastic things for the fish to hide.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back