(Dumb Question Alert) Is it okay to store SW in a Brute Trashcan?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

per usual I am here with another noob question. I made saltwater today for a water change but I won't be able to do the water change since it's late. Is it okay to leave it in the Brute Trashcan? I never had stored water, I always immediately used it so first time storing it till tomorrow evening so I'm just worried about ruining the water. I appreciate all the help, sorry for all the constant noob questions haha

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's clean and you keep the water moving it should be perfectly fine

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's clean and you keep the water moving it should be perfectly fine
And if you're worried about it still just do your normal test kit you use on tank water

Thanks! You think I'm okay with turning the powerhead off overnight and turning it back on couple hours before doing the water change? It's Instant Ocean salt and rodi water,

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of hobbiests keep saltwater in brute trashcans for extended periods. They say it is always a good idea to have some on hand in case you need to do an emergency water change. That's what I do (though I've only had my tank up and running for 6 weeks.

If keeping it for a while don't keep a heater or powerhead in it.

Overnight with a heater and powerhead is fine. Lots of people say it is better to prepare it the day before in fact.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of hobbiests keep saltwater in brute trashcans for extended periods. They say it is always a good idea to have some on hand in case you need to do an emergency water change. That's what I do (though I've only had my tank up and running for 6 weeks.

If keeping it for a while don't keep a heater or powerhead in it.

Overnight with a heater and powerhead is fine. Lots of people say it is better to prepare it the day before in fact.

I'm learning
giphy.gif

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha just making sure, you should need to turn them off till you get the water out of the container

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b97012a58be80a07a53ca8b214719e04.jpg

Yep, grey brutes ones are good. White brutes are food grade and are safe too.

Sweet, got the same exact ones, cool set up btw!

It wont be too damaging if I dont keep the powerhead in the trashcan on overnight right?

It's my first saltwater tank so thats why all the worries haha, gotta see how lazy I can be lol

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to heat or circulate the water. sW that is sold in 5 gal containers isn't , so why would you

Good point,
Never thought of it like that before
59eb4258d5c0d79e9bce51c7c3b0d4a9674b9921.jpg

Thanks for helping me learn everyone! Time to be worry free :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wont be too damaging if I dont keep the powerhead in the trashcan on overnight right?

It's my first saltwater tank so thats why all the worries haha, gotta see how lazy I can be lol[/QUOTE

It's my first saltwater tank so thats why all the worries haha, gotta see how lazy I can be lol

No problem keeping a power head in there indefinitely. I keep one running on my fresh water side all the time.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to heat or circulate the water. sW that is sold in 5 gal containers isn't , so why would you

Pre packaged SW needs no circulation if sealed, but may need the temp close to your DT if vastly different. Depending on the amount changed, a couple of degrees +/- shouldn't be a problem.

Making your own saltwater from a salt mix would certainly need mixing.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy mine from the store premixed so I leave it in 5 gallon jugs for weeks until I do a WC and have never had a problem lol

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's common practice to do so it will cause chromosomal damage to your livestock. The Grey Brute cans are for trash, not potable water or food. They make a white Brute can that is safe for potable water and human food.

I use a polypropylene barrel. It's made to store potable water in and it's as cheap as a grey Brute can. They are cheaply available as "shipping barrels" and even as "water barrels". They're also much sturdier than a Brute can because they're made to fill to the top with water and store long term.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point that I have seen made about storing saltwater long term (I don't mean over night, but for a couple of weeks or more) is that it is fine for saltwater without anything organic in it, but the probiotic salt might be different.

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I keep my rodi fresh and salt in food grade plastic drums. My lfs gets them from New Orleans, after companies use the contents. One was for dirty martini olives and the other was for Trinity seasoning mix.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back