EcoBak Pellet Journey

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a reason that you decided to use the craft mesh instead of the sponges that are normally used in the reactor to keep the pellets in? Is it better to have the larger holes of the mesh (compared to the sponge)?

The sponge will get clogged with the bactria build up and reduce flow through the reactor......

OP
OP
Shadowramy

Shadowramy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/10/10

After some thought I decided to load the zeolites into a container and just allow them to site in the sump and move all the pellets to the reactor.
* modified reactor with mesh bottom
* soaked pellets for 24 hours
* move zeolites to container in last chamber of sump
* exit on reactor to the skimmer input
* pellets "dancing" top layer
* GAC Reactor back online

Photos
1reator.jpg

Reactor I am using

2reator.jpg

Modified with craft screen

3pellets.jpg

Soaked the Pellets for 24 hour in RO/DI water

5zeolites.jpg

Moved zeolites into container, last sump chamber

11reactor.jpg

Reactor Working

10reator.jpg

Exits to the skimmer

9reator.jpg

Output at skimmer intake

----

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my EcoBak and Avast media reactor today. I ordered a slightly larger reactor (18") vs stock to hold the full liter of media and still have some room. Going on a 200 gal system.

Sounds like from the last update you decided in favor of discharging to the skimmer vs the display?

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give this post a bump.
I started this Thursday,and wanted to tell what has happened at my end.As for the Ecobak pellets goes.It's in a old Zeo reactor had laying around.Put the media in their,and it's movement looks like moltening lava.I didn't wanted to crank it up.Or to strip the water to fast either.So far so good.The water seems a lot clearer now.The skimmer has held it's own.The same color and waste is the same.Also some folks mentioned removing filter bags.Well,still using them with no problems.Yet all this depends on one system also.I'm even running the .025 micron bags.Yes that's right a very tight knit bags.I use these because it help me when I clean the panes for removal of any algaes that I clean off.Also still running the PO4 remover also.I'm not seeing the same things that other folks have had.But a newbie also using this media.But haven't scene any draw back either. I haven't had any cloudy water either.So what ever I'm doing seems to be doing just fine.But just need more time,like anything else in the hobby.Always a waiting game for all of us.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Ive been running bac system for years, starting with ZEO 8 years ago.now i am running pellets for 3 weeks and i notice my REDOXlevel very low comapre to zeovit, prodibio or BW bac systems. I run mix of NP pellets and vertex, they both dif size. output next to skimmer pump, skimmer runs pretty wet mod..for past 3 weeks redox Level around 150 and wouldnt go up. this morning i add air pump to my sump and i already see small shift in the level.
Are you expirience the same low level of redox?

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Ive been running bac system for years, starting with ZEO 8 years ago.now i am running pellets for 3 weeks and i notice my REDOXlevel very low comapre to zeovit, prodibio or BW bac systems. I run mix of NP pellets and vertex, they both dif size. output next to skimmer pump, skimmer runs pretty wet mod..for past 3 weeks redox Level around 150 and wouldnt go up. this morning i add air pump to my sump and i already see small shift in the level.
Are you expirience the same low level of redox?
I myself haven't tested for Redox levels.I have a 75 gallon sump.With a ton of flow,from the 2 drains,and from the skimmer.I actually have to many bubbles down their,because main pump suck them up to the top.And the 75 is only half full of water. Like

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the ecobak pellets for a few weeks now my opr still measures out @ 378 without using a reactor. I have another method to keep mine up with just a air pump and stone. works good to keep it stable in that area for me.

mgdmirage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my 1 Liter of EcoBak and i'm curious do you need to soak them prior or was that just an extra precautionary step you took?

OP
OP
Shadowramy

Shadowramy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good idea to soak them for a day or so, that way they wont float or accumulate bubbles when they are in the reactor.

moto826

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not soak mine and was all bubbley and floating so i would soak yours

Rotknee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadowramy, thanks for brining us along. Great pics and insightful commentary.I am seriously thinking about giving the EcoBak pellets a try. Still undecided as my tank is rather new (4 months old) and can't say I've identified any real problems...yet.

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadowramy, thanks for brining us along. Great pics and insightful commentary.I am seriously thinking about giving the EcoBak pellets a try. Still undecided as my tank is rather new (4 months old) and can't say I've identified any real problems...yet.

my tank is newer then that and I started using them better to keep them low then to have to battle it later. mine are working well for me. I should of soaked them prior but owell they are still working like a champ.

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has been running fo r9 yrs now,im really excited about these echoback pellets,ive ordered the pellets and a reactor from avast,just waiting for them to arrive ,hope the reactor arrives first.

my question is ive got some redslime on my sand only,phosphates are undectible with a salifert test kit,so i need to get the phosphate checker to make sure.
now i was thinking of usin the redslime eliminator but not sure,or should i wait and see what the echoback pellets will do for the tank

vic

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back