0   0   0
Ai sol blue have more par I ad magenta strip fron ecoxotic and look very nice

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who uses them at 100%? I know many people who don't even run the sol at 100 because it bleaches the coral so is the extra wattage really needed?

I know it has some great features but really worth the major price difference when they both accomplish the same thing.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

the ecotech is a pricey disco ball with a potato chip heatsink

and the upgrade ability on these units will not be cheap.

I totally agree! Ecotech radion is pricy because of name. With led heat sync is everything. Big heat sync = long led life as well as a quiet unit. If fans are the major cooling source the units are loud. AI for my money

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree! Ecotech radion is pricy because of name. With led heat sync is everything. Big heat sync = long led life as well as a quiet unit. If fans are the major cooling source the units are loud. AI for my money

I'm guessing the folks at Ecotech didn't make glaring errors as you are suggesting. I might believe statements like this if you had actual measurements or DB ratings.

I mean, you just said the heatsinks are insufficient and the fans are too loud with zero evidence.

Isn't the heatsink on the radion designed to pull air through it? This probably allows the radion to get away with a smaller heatsink.

I'm just saying out would be nice to hear opinions that have substance behind them and to avoid fanboys from either side.

In the near future I'm actually going to have to decide which to buy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use 2 in my tank 150 gallon and cover the tank very nice .I ad to magenta strip and look very nice

OP
OP
D

dbartkow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that people who have ai units are just recommending ai over the ecotech...seems that we need to hear from someone who has had both.

Yes, this is true. When I posted this thread I was really looking for input from people that have tried both units or at least have seen both units in action and observed their results over a period of time. I understand that most people want to promote the units the are using. I get that, but I really am looking for an unbiased comparison.

I will restate my questions from the first page:

- How does the spread compare? Is there any spot lighting?

- How does the par compare?

- Programability: is there any difference in these features?

- Fan noise: How does their noise level compare?

- Any growth comparison results yet? LPS? SPS?

Dave

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radians are too new for a large enough sample for growth. They have only been shipping for a couple weeks now.

marclwheeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had and used both... IMHO... the radions are everything the AI are and then some... yes they use the same LEDs but the radion give you full controllability at a full spectrum level... AI does not... I do feel they will be changing things w/ this new model coming out even tho they are still keeping it at release w/ the same white, blue, royal blue, so, recap radion full spectrum-AI whites and blues you make the decision which is better there...

on to controlling side of things... radion allows basic, but extensive controlling right outta the box... NO EXTRA controller to buy...+ yes, also one less thing you have to find a place for and mount as well too... how ever ecotech do allow you to control it further by connecting it to your PC... now is when you here the nah sayers say,"what if i don't have a pc to connect it"... well my response it then your in the wrong hobby... ;-) further the software was soooo easy to play w/ i could've had the artificial programming mode done in like 30 secs...really fast is alls im sayin here...

lastly is the spread... no way could i get by w/ only 2 fixture on my 4' tank w/ AIs even if i turned them sideways...decent coverage if it was only 18" front to back tank... on a 120g tank you started to loose cover pretty good... Ecotechs AWESOME... easily get these to cover a 120g tank w/ only 2...

lets talk price at first glance the AIs w/ there price reduction finally appearing more reasonable looks to have the ecotechs beat, until you realize you have to buy a couple more for your 120g tank realizing you really need atleast one to two more... once you factor that in its really a wash... but remember lighting wise the ecotech and everything the AIs are and then some...so cheaper per unit AIs got you beat ecotech but once you figure in the performance of the coverage of the ecotech right back into the race...in my opinion a wash then...also don't forget to add in your controller expense w/ this too AI owners... you don't have that w/ Ecotech

service after the sale... again ecotech has ALWAYS BEEN GREAT!!! C2 AI, I wish i could support this local company but i just can't they have had a heck of a time keeping up w/ the demands of their following... you can't sell products you don't have at your vendors...please i can only imagine the frustration some of the AI owners felt when they unrolled a substantial price decrease... I think that C2 has only seen the ripple effects of this and i think if they are to keep their following for the future and remain competitive they need to play damage control and PLAY Politics here... the message i got here is that alot of people that just bought AI unit felt a lil dupped

if i sound a lil one sided it is cause i have used both owned both, and I feel the better product hands down is the radion from all angles even price considering you get 5 channel controllability and full spectrum and you don't have to buy a controller and extra units to get the coverage your looking for... if LEDs are gonna compete/and eventually replace MH, they need to be FULL SPECTRUM...

hope this was helpful, I know it is a bit lengthy but i felt i could give any honest evaluation since i did fit the discription of what they were looking for...

god bless and have a happy thanksgiving

Last edited:

Redstag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 3 Ecotech Radion!

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081-3.jpg

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all three ai sol, vertex, and radion. The sol is def not superior. Does that make it a bad fixture? Of course not, by far the best bang for your buck. I still use one as well because of the great color and growth I have with it. I am also familiar with it and know what my lps and sps can handle.

The radion provides better coverage no doubt. Also, putting them side by side the color is brighter with less shadowing. I never thought this about the ai sols until i saw it next to the radion, but the light emitting from the radion just seems fuller. The other thing that makes the radion better is being able to sync it with your powerhead. Also, the software interface it offers. I love being able to pick say an 18k color with just having to click a button. With the ai sols you have to guess and adjust all three colors independently. The radion software also shows a spectrum graph for how the lights are set which is very helpful as well. The heatsink being smaller has nothing to do with it not being as good. It is way more efficient at bringing in cooler air and disbursing the heat. That is like saying since leds only put 75watts they are inferior to a 150w mh. The radion has a more efficient cooling system which lets it get away with a smaller footprint. If you have noticed the new ai phoenix has a heatsink half the size of the ai sol and more wattage.

As far as the vertex, it is nice but way way way overpriced. It is to suck in the people with too much money and make them feel like they are getting an elite fixture that not too many other people have imo.

If you are wanting to save money-AI SOL
If you want the all-around best-Ecotech Radion
If you have more dollars than sense-Vertex

mjplumber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great rite ups, But what about PAR readings on the RADIONS vs AI's ? You can change the lens on AI's to get better coverage but loose some Par. You can also use your Apex or Reefkeeper to control your AI's.

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going by what MSWT documented on YT, i'd say the Radions, having neither unit, my opinion is biased, lol.

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I made the decision having to buy 2 units either way the 700$ price difference was too much to pay for the features and benefits the radion has.

If the radion was 600$ I would have bought 2 of them instead.

It is a nice light and more advanced than the sol's. Thats not really debatable.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would love to find out what replacement parts of the radion are? I can see what the parts of the AIs are

a lot of people are buying these long term--

OP
OP
D

dbartkow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefhead,
Great info! I appreciate your input! The Radions do sound very impressive. I just have to see if I can come up with the funds for 2 of them. If not, I will be going with the Sols.

Dave

OP
OP
D

dbartkow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have PAR comparisons? My tank is 30 inches deep, so I am wondering how much beneficial light will be hitting the bottom.

Dave

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will hopefully be getting a radion soon. I just love the way it can be customized, the fact they use 5 different LEDs that are all dimmable, how they left a channel open so they can add another type of LED at some point if needed, how each puck is removable so they can be upgraded with hardware as well as software, and its connectivity with vortechs is pretty cool. Seems like it has many more features than the Sol.

marclwheeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say neither of these are going to be a problem for par at the bottom... and i would also say the difference is going to be in what i wrote up... give me a call when you get a chance i will PM you my number I may be able to help your decision on which ones will work

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back