Eel care guide!

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK then, variety is what I need to key-in on.
I definitely agree. I go to the seafood market and pick up a variety of fresh seafood, which I chop up into chunks and then freeze in ice cube trays. This way I can thaw a portion at each mealtime that has a good mix of things like squid, salmon, prawns, clams, scallops, and silversides. My eel definitely seems to love the variety. Once he learned to associate the feeding tongs with food, he'll take anything I offer.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree. I go to the seafood market and pick up a variety of fresh seafood, which I chop up into chunks and then freeze in ice cube trays. This way I can thaw a portion at each mealtime that has a good mix of things like squid, salmon, prawns, clams, scallops, and silversides. My eel definitely seems to love the variety. Once he learned to associate the feeding tongs with food, he'll take anything I offer.
I live in the sticks of Montana and the grocery seafood department is quite lacking. We rarely get squid for example.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow could you get a video of that? Do you single out pieces and feed on a stick or let him have a bunch at a time?
I live in the sticks of Montana and the grocery seafood department is quite lacking. We rarely get squid for example.
Yes, I have a video of feeding the eel. I'll attach it below. This is an old video and my eel is about twice as big now, but I still feed the same way. I grab one chunk of food at a time in my tongs and hand it to the eel. He doesn't see well so I have to tap him on the nose with the food and then he grabs it. He usually gets around 4-5 nice sized chunks at feeding time. I feed every other day.

Oh, yeah, being in a rural area is a bit harder. You could always see if you can just find a frozen seafood blend in your freezer section at the grocery store. Or even just get some seafood from your meat counter at the grocery store if they have anything decent looking. Scallops and shrimp are usually easy to find and my eel loves both of those. The seafood can be previously frozen as long as its raw (avoid the cooked cocktail shrimp).

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to Duke4Life and his Larry's Reef Service chunky.
If you'll go back 1 page and check post number 53 out I have my most recent video there. I break off whatever I'm feeding and defrost for about 5 minutes in a bit of tank water, then either add or put on my feeding stick to feed. I usually cut my powerheads off and add food, let the bigger chunks sink then turn powerheads back on, found it gets the scent in the water and the food doesn't move as much, eels have a great sense of smell.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see others interested in eels. Main reason I wanted back in the hobby and setup again. Now I'm into wrasses as well :cool:

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the video, how big is the tank? Are those baby lionfish or dwarf lionfish?
Thank you! The tank is a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. Two of the Lionfish are dwarf Lionfish species: a fu Manchu and a dwarf zebra. The other one is a small antennata, which is a medium bodied Lionfish. The antennata and the eel will eventually outgrow this tank. I plan to upgrade in the future, but they still have lots of growing to do before they're too big.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duke your video is just as good. If I fed that way I would want some bigger inverts to get the uneaten pieces.
My wrasses and filefish go in for the leftovers, oddly enough my hermits stay in this area primarily. Working on my overfeeding hahaha

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shoelaceike, is your eel young or under weight because it doesn't look very robust?
what he/she said, could do with a bit more meat on him, but seeming he is new I would give some time for him to put some weight on good luck :)

CWood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Spotted Moray from a local shop. He was in a tank with other fish and was just fine with them. I asked the guy if he would bother my fish and he said no. Bought him and put him in his new home and within 15-20 mins all my fish were eaten. Now I have a 3' eel and no fish. :( I should have known better...... Anybody in the Tampa, Fl area want to buy a eel??? :)
fc2fa97c-161f-4c22-a6a7-962694627ed7_zpsx1oeq2ex.jpg

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks! What fish were in his tank and what fish did you have?

My thoughts on eels, pointy teeth are fish eaters. I stocked my one eel that way.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler, have a question of feeding your Blue Ribbon.

I've been feeding mine the small sized pack of silversides from Hikari. The slight issue is that their too big for the small mouth of Ribbons, so I cut the silversides in half, sometimes even more, for Merlin to eat. Because of this, he doesn't get the innards/guts of the fish which are very nutritious. The heads are also too big. I thought,......the first pack of Larry's food that I bought for our fish, was Reef Frenzy, and when I cut about a 3" length and 1/4" in width, it stayed together in my fingers and in the tanks water, so I brought it to Merlins face, and he ate it ! When I ran out of the food, I bought another pack but, it doesen't stay together, it falls apart, so he gets none. Any idea why and what I can do ?

He really isn't interested or doesen't see it, in eating small pieces of food.

What other small but long foods can I feed him ?
From what I've seen at the grocery stores, I don't see much in fresh frozen foods, except small chunks of squid, not whole size.

What do you feed yours ?

Last edited:

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler, have a question of feeding your Blue Ribbon.

I've been feeding mine the small sized pack of silversides from Hikari. The slight issue is that their too big for the small mouth of Ribbons, so I cut the silversides in half, sometimes even more, for Merlin to eat. Because of this, he doesn't get the innards/guts of the fish which are very nutritious. The heads are also too big. I thought,......the first pack of Larry's food that I bought for our fish, was Reef Frenzy, and when I cut about a 3" length and 1/4" in width, it stayed together in my fingers and in the tanks water, so I brought it to Merlins face, and he ate it ! When I ran out of the food, I bought another pack but, it doesen't stay together, it falls apart, so he gets none. Any idea why and what I can do ?

He really isn't interested or doesen't see it, in eating small pieces of food.

What other small but long foods can I feed him ?
From what I've seen at the grocery stores, I don't see much in fresh frozen foods, except small chunks of squid, not whole size.

What do you feed yours ?
Have you tried LRS Chunky?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local dealer has not ordered the Chunky yet, but I'll ask them to.

What size's are the Chunks ?
Just wondering if their small pieces that he's not interested in, ike the other foods I've tried. He likes long narrow foods.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any salt water fish is good. It's just getting them to eat it. Salmon is good, as long as it isn't died or prepared. Maui mahi, shark, scallops. Any thing like that that your grocer might carry will work. Cut it up, store it in a container in the freezer and thaw what you need to feed.

You could also mix it all up, add some gelatin and make your own in a blender. You can add in your own vitamins this way.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back