Eibli angel question

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Yesterday I bought an Eibli angel from a LFS, didn’t quarantine and put in display right away. They said they have copper in their system, freshwater dip every new fish and keep fish in hyposalinity(0.018). The fish was also in the store since late Feb, and the newest fish in that tank is a tang arrived in May 2nd, but I do think the system is connected to other tanks so that might not matter.
The fish looks fine, swims around a lot and ate at store, didn’t really eat after I put it in the tank last night but I assume it’s full. I read many post regarding quarantine or not and now I’m regretting not having a quarantine set up. So my question is can I just observe the fish for now and how long do I have to do it until I can consider the fish is fine? Thanks in advance.

IMG_5248.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper and salinity used at fish stores is meant to trick customers into thinking the fish are disease free. The levels do absolutely nothing to actually stop parasites or disease.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference copper needs to be maintained at a constant 2.25-2.5 for 30 days and salinity in a hypo situation needs to be maintained strictly at 1.009.

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference copper needs to be maintained at a constant 2.25-2.5 for 30 days and salinity in a hypo situation needs to be maintained strictly at 1.009.
Yeah they didn’t say what’s the copper level is at… So am I basically waiting for disease to happen?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they didn’t say what’s the copper level is at… So am I basically waiting for disease to happen?
Maybe or maybe not. You may get lucky and there are no issues at all. Just helping to make you aware of their practices.

They keep their systems that way as a means to hide disease and reduce salt costs. All of which is done to mislead buyers into thinking that all fish are healthy and disease free.

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe or maybe not. You may get lucky and there are no issues at all. Just helping to make you aware of their practices.

They keep their systems that way as a means to hide disease and reduce salt costs. All of which is done to mislead buyers into thinking that all fish are healthy and disease free.
If let’s say after 5 weeks the fish seems fine can I consider myself and the fish out of the woods or it can come back and haunt me/future livestock? I’m most likely ordering quarantined livestocks exclusively in the future.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will just have to watch your fish and see at this point.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back