Electronic Waterproofing?

ktran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a market for electronic waterproofing? I have a coating from another industry that will protect all the PCB/electronics if dunked in water.

Not only can they be dunked in water, the coating allows the units to also operate under/in water with no harm to the electronics. In addition, the electronics will not corrode if in saltwater.

Was thinking there may be a market for this but maybe not? Let me know your guys' thoughts

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the coating perform for heat dissipation? We experimented with a coating 20 years ago, and had problems with the coating cooking the boards. I would imagine they’ve solved that issue.

OP
OP
K

ktran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the coating perform for heat dissipation? We experimented with a coating 20 years ago, and had problems with the coating cooking the boards. I would imagine they’ve solved that issue.
no issues with heat at all, it's a very thin coating. It can be soldered over and also can dip/cover any USB ports/ports in general and they will still operate 100%.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking there may be a market for this but maybe not? Let me know your guys' thoughts

Seems like the big companies are run by vulture capitalists and private equity now. i.e. this is extra cost and complexity that they probably can't bake into increased pricing.

Not to be a skeptic, but I fully expect reefing gear to go the other direction - made as cheaply as possible with artificially limited lifespans. Or maybe they will figure out how to implement subscription pricing for your pumps and lights.

OP
OP
K

ktran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the big companies are run by vulture capitalists and private equity now. i.e. this is extra cost and complexity that they probably can't bake into increased pricing.

Not to be a skeptic, but I fully expect reefing gear to go the other direction - made as cheaply as possible with artificially limited lifespans. Or maybe they will figure out how to implement subscription pricing for your pumps and lights.
Yeah I missed a window. You would think using a product like this would lower customer service issues thus increasing efficiency but they don't think like that.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I missed a window. You would think using a product like this would lower customer service issues thus increasing efficiency but they don't think like that.

Customer service is the first expense that they cut from the budget! Only kidding... sort of.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer service is the first expense that they cut from the budget! Only kidding... sort of.
The first cut is QC, Quality Control. Usually Marketing and Customer Service is rolled into one. This is so any trend of negativity against the company can be quickly delt with. I worked for a large company with manufacturing, sales and servicing, that’s how we were organized. I was in the field services group.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back