electronics help

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am in need of some real electronics type help.. i will try to add some pics to offer any idea of what i am doing... first of i am building some LED lights for my tank..
i have 5 meanwhile ELN-60-48 drivers.... i build a power supply distribution box in which to us for the 10v power side of the driver.....
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg

as you can see i was at first going to use a basic 3 knob controller for most of the lights.... the box has type m DC power connectors.... like i said at first i was going to use it for the 10V side... but i recently went ahead and bought a storm controller for the time being and well it already does what this box was meant to do...

my question is after a long explanation can i repurpose this box for the 110V side of the driver for a clean and neat look? the wire inside is industrial solid copper telephone line... i am thinking about 24g wire... could be smaller...

and i just wishing here??

again not sure technical numbers and i can find a data sheet on the connectors to see what amperage they will take before failure....

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know about your application, so I can't comment on that specifically without knowing the ratings of everything being put on the circuit and without having a more detailed description and schematics of your layout.

24AWG can handle .577A for power transmission or 3.5A for chassis wiring, but I wouldn't push that one. Chassis wiring is the standards manufacturers use for inside devices, I'd step it up a few sizes for a DIY project, just for the safety margin. I'd stick with the power transmission ratings since the chassis ratings are based on manufacturers engineering devices and knowing the draw from all components. Not to mention, they should presumably be going through UL and similar testing facilities, which should theoretically root out issues with under rated wiring.

Look up "current rating for wire", you should get plenty of results with good tables and recommendations.

First couple of results:
American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength
American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable Conductor Size Chart / Table

Last edited:

Emmcph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no. The hook-up wire that is in the black box is too thin to carry the ~6.5amps the ELN6048s will be drawing once you wire them up in parallel to Mains power.

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question would then be if the DC connectors could handle the 110v. I can alway rewire with larger gauge wire. Maybe that is a better question.

Emmcph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I wouldn't. They are DC barrel jacks and most are rated for only 12v at a couple of amps. I am not sure if the coaxial is close enough to arc but it could cause severe equipment damage, or even start a fire.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back