Emerald crab and Toadstool -- please help!

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a continuation of my previous thread, regarding concerns with toadstool leather:

Tonight I discovered my emerald crab munching on it, and what looks like some significant damage. From the looks of it, how should I go about letting the toadstool heal?

First pic is from yesterday when first discovered a change in Toadstool, and others are from tonight after witnessing the crab attack.

PXL_20231031_235357268.jpg PXL_20231102_010808252.jpg PXL_20231102_010812816.jpg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to fead them algae wafers before they go rouge. I had one take down two torch coral heads.
There's a fair amount of GHA so I thought it would be content...

I'll probably just move the crab but for now I moved the toadstool in a more protected area on a frag rack where crab can't access.. how else should I proceed so the toadstool recovers (assuming it still can)? :(

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a fair amount of GHA so I thought it would be content...

I'll probably just move the crab but for now I moved the toadstool in a more protected area on a frag rack where crab can't access.. how else should I proceed so the toadstool recovers (assuming it still can)? :(
They are pretty hard to kill. it’ll come back in time. Emeralds really don’t eat gha. If you don’t have enough crud for them to eat they can go after corals in my experience. I fead mine small pieces of algae wafers every now and then.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty hard to kill. it’ll come back in time. Emeralds really don’t eat gha. If you don’t have enough crud for them to eat they can go after corals in my experience. I fead mine small pieces of algae wafers every now and then.
I was told they'll eat GHA but it's not their favorite, I've seen mine munching on GHA but maybe it's looking for something tastier... I'll start feeding it some nori sheets I have.

The stalk looks pretty fragile now.. should I put it in a lower flow area? Any changes in lighting that would be recommended? Or would it be best to frag at this time?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught my emerald also munching on my toadstool, that’s when I evicted him to the invert tank. I don’t put any crabs in my main tanks anymore

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the assistance guys. Since I moved the toadstool (in a safe spot on a floating frag rack so the crab can't access, also with less flow), it has already started opening up and looking better. Will update as needed thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back