EMERGENCY: Bad overflow seam. Need assistance building temporary PVC overflow.

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 220 gallon tank with external coast to coast overflow. The seam on the overflow is deteriorating, leaking and literally about to fall off the back. Fortunately the main tank body is intact. Ordering new tank today or tomorrow and it will take a while to build. I need to make this work for a while so I can avoid purchasing a Craigslist tank of unknown origin likely subject to the same failures. Please help!!

I have lowered my water level and have fashioned two PVC overflows from plans I found here. They work ok but not as well as I need them to to be able to leave the house for any period of time and be confident they will restart after pump stopage/power outage. I can manually start the siphon and get a decent flow. However if I turn off the pumps and let it start on its own then I only get a trickle. I know my basic design and assembly works but need suggestions making it work better and more reliably. Here's what I've got...

16957517461551309968151781500843.jpg
20230926_134938.jpg
20230926_134956.jpg

Also a video describing the overflow, how I THINK it is supposed to work and what I THINK the problem may be.

The left half of the assembly is in-tank, top center hangs above the eurobrace and left is outside the tank with the braided tubing going to the sump. The crude drilled wier is jusy dry fitted to the rest of the assembly allowing me to adjust position within the tank and spin the bottom elbow to adjust level. The cap on the upper right is removable to allow me to establish the siphon the first time. Everything else is glued. IN THEORY, this should automatically restart the siphon if pump stops and restarts once the water level exceeds the wier. But I just get a trickle on both identically constructed overflows.

I THINK (more like I am guessing) the tee outside the tank which goes to the braided tubing and eventually my sump needs to be lowered to at or near the same level as the opposite tee for the wier. Of course then I would probably also need to extend the right top length to so water doesn't flow through the siphon and stream out the top OUTSIDE the tank. But since what I have is at least working a little bit I don't really want to cut it and make it worse or not work at all. Can somebody please help improve my design/assembly?!?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the link to your video. Yes i believe you hit the nail on the head with the tee being too high to reliably restart the siphon. It should be equal to or below the bottom of the intank side of the assembly.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just watched the link to your video. Yes i believe you hit the nail on the head with the tee being too high to reliably restart the siphon. It should be equal to or below the bottom of the intank side of the assembly.

I'm at the hardware store now getting the couplings to lower that tee. Also found this which seems to indicate I need a check valve on the top horizontal run to prevent air lock. The couplings to lower the tee are easy to come by. The air valve may be a challenge.

9906CC00-A869-4D06-A299-C953D4DE743E.jpeg

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck, I hope that works out, but should you decide to go the external overflow route the tank should survive just fine for a couple of days without a sump until your delivery arrives, just watch salinity should you have lots of evaporation on the display.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rev 2 prototype on the left (just dry fitted and not glued together yet) and original on the right. I am pushing about 800gph and remain below my original leaking overflow wiers. Temporary rev 1 is just a trickle with rev 2 taking 99% of the flow thanks to your feedback. I'm going mod the second, drill more holes in the top section of the wier and continue exercising the siphon recovery before permanently gluing but thing I may be on the road to recovery.

Well, maybe not recovery. Probably replacement and eventual repair. I think I'm going to take advantage of this mishap to upgrade. Working on a deal for 72W x 34D x 22H, starphire all around, black background and Modular Marine overflow.
20230926_191053.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev 2 prototype on the left (just dry fitted and not glued together yet) and original on the right. I am pushing about 800gph and remain below my original leaking overflow wiers. Temporary rev 1 is just a trickle with rev 2 taking 99% of the flow thanks to your feedback. I'm going mod the second, drill more holes in the top section of the wier and continue exercising the siphon recovery before permanently gluing but thing I may be on the road to recovery.

Well, maybe not recovery. Probably replacement and eventual repair. I think I'm going to take advantage of this mishap to upgrade. Working on a deal for 72W x 34D x 22H, starphire all around, black background and Modular Marine overflow.
20230926_191053.jpg
You deserve all the credit!

Glad I could be of a little assistance in confirming what you already were suspecting :cool:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back