Emergency help with mangroves!

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my mangroves over to a new tank about a week ago and now they look like this any idea? I read something about it petentally being a humor issue?

IMG_9406.jpeg IMG_9407.jpeg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a regular plant, albeit a salt tolerant one....do what you would do to a wilted house plant. Give it a good mist with freshwater. Rainwater would be best. Dechlorinate if using tap water.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my mangroves over to a new tank about a week ago and now they look like this any idea? I read something about it petentally being a humor issue?

IMG_9406.jpeg IMG_9407.jpeg
Do not know what a "humor issue " is.
How did you move them?
The roots are the life blood.
They don't tolerate change in salinity or being uprooted easily.
Did you replant or float them?
I'll try to help if I can.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the same boat.
I’m floating mine in the open water column. Would it be better to plant in a pot with sand or perhaps a mineral substrate such as Julian’s refugium substrate?
I’m misting leaves daily but doesn’t seem to be helping

lex8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the same boat.
I’m floating mine in the open water column. Would it be better to plant in a pot with sand or perhaps a mineral substrate such as Julian’s refugium substrate?
I’m misting leaves daily but doesn’t seem to be helping

Hmm, how long have they been in there? We're they acclimated to saltwater before going in the tank?

If the leaves are in the saltwater this might be why they're wilting. They like their leaves to be kept clean, and need a regular freshwater misting. Try keeping them upright, wiping the leaves down with a cloth, then dousing them in RODI water every morning to see if they perk up.

I'm curious if OP was able to resolve the issue..

Last edited:

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been in the tank a couple weeks. When I mentioned they were floating I meant the roots. Perhaps they would be better off rooted in the sand?
I’ve seen some people actually plant them in reef safe pots in either sand or some pant based substrate.
Curious if you feel this might be helpful?
Not sure if they came from fresh, brackish or salt water.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond what's already been said about slowly acclimating them from fresh to saltwater, they won't typically do well long term if they're just in the water column, they do much better with a little soil/sand (or just what they grow in naturally, sandy mud!). The last mistake I see people making is not giving them enough light. These are full sun plants and love to be blasted.

1000008844.jpg

Here's mine. It's planted in a 50/50 mix of miracle mud and sand in a box I 3D printed to be part of my overflow (so there's constant water flow for the top of the roots), with a pair of lights on full blast.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No don't stick them in the sand. Set them on the sand or on a rock if you want. But if your plants aren't tall enough to do that suspend them using green plant tie. Just secure the pod to something making sure that all the growth above the pod stays dry.

Amazon- plant tape

While this works just fine, I've found no issue just popping them 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into some sandy mud with a little moving water gets pods rooting within a few days.

If they're already rooting, it's probably best to at least partially bury the root in sand/soil, but no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the length of the pod.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back