Emergency help!!!

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a kalk stirrer and have been using it for a year it’s worked amazing but as of recent it’s had two instances of dumping tons of water into my display tank, my kalk PH is 11.4 and I use my kalk reactor at night to maintain kalk at about 8.5 I don’t understand why it would dump all that kalk reactor water and have no effect on the ph of my display tank? I even measured the ph of my tank with a separate ph monitor and got back the same results. I’m just frustrated and confused any advice would be great

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Can help you with this ........ Let me know the method of how you are dosing. ex. dose pump. timer, float, ATO

How are you delivering it to your sump. How many gallons or ml's are you dosing per night

How big is your total water volume, what is your sump volume, what is your display tank volume ?

Also if your Kalk pH is truly 11.4 then that is why the over dosing isn't causing much of a problem.

Saturated Kalk should measure roughly 12.3-12.4. If its 11.4 there is hardly any kalk in that solution

What pH do you target your display pH.....I think above you have a typo.........
" I use my kalk reactor at night to maintain kalk at about 8.5"

Did you mean Maintain reef pH at 8.5 ?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a kalk stirrer and have been using it for a year it’s worked amazing but as of recent it’s had two instances of dumping tons of water into my display tank, my kalk PH is 11.4 and I use my kalk reactor at night to maintain kalk at about 8.5 I don’t understand why it would dump all that kalk reactor water and have no effect on the ph of my display tank? I even measured the ph of my tank with a separate ph monitor and got back the same results. I’m just frustrated and confused any advice would be great
What is the emergency?
Is there a question here or you just need advice?

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the emergency?
Is there a question here or you just need advice?
My emergency is that my tank got
I Can help you with this ........ Let me know the method of how you are dosing. ex. dose pump. timer, float, ATO

How are you delivering it to your sump. How many gallons or ml's are you dosing per night

How big is your total water volume, what is your sump volume, what is your display tank volume ?

Also if your Kalk pH is truly 11.4 then that is why the over dosing isn't causing much of a problem.

Saturated Kalk should measure roughly 12.3-12.4. If its 11.4 there is hardly any kalk in that solution

What pH do you target your display pH.....I think above you have a typo.........
" I use my kalk reactor at night to maintain kalk at about 8.5"

Did you mean Maintain reef pH at 8.5 ?
my method of dosing is I have code in my apex that every time my PH is below a specific point it turn on until my ph hits a specific point

I dose about 2 gallons every night but it dose have slight variation

And I apologize on the confusion I’m dyslexic, I will say that I switched over to a new kalk powder that my friend gave me a few months ago so if what your saying is true then I think it’s my kalk powder that’s the problem? E

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emergency is that my tank got

my method of dosing is I have code in my apex that every time my PH is below a specific point it turn on until my ph hits a specific point

I dose about 2 gallons every night but it dose have slight variation

And I apologize on the confusion I’m dyslexic, I will say that I switched over to a new kalk powder that my friend gave me a few months ago so if what your saying is true then I think it’s my kalk powder that’s the problem? E
This is a really bad way to set or chase pH.

What Dosing pump do you use ?
What Kalk Stirrer do you use ?
What brand Kalk powder did your friend give you ?
Was the Kalk Powder opened ? this matters a lot.

Again, are you sure your pH in your stirrer is 11.4 ?

After I figure out the products you are using I will be able to help more

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really bad way to set or chase pH.

What Dosing pump do you use ?
What Kalk Stirrer do you use ?
What brand Kalk powder did your friend give you ?
Was the Kalk Powder opened ? this matters a lot.

Again, are you sure your pH in your stirrer is 11.4 ?

After I figure out the products you are using I will be able to help more
Brightwell Kalk was what he gave me he used half of it but sealed it after taking some out ever time

evast marine kalk stirrir

And I have the BRS 1.1ml doser

I normally use BRS Kalkwasser

What method of kalk dosing do you think I should do? I want to keep my PH at least at 8.3 and I know I evaporate 2 gallons a day also I think I forgot to mention I have a 90gallon tank and about 12 gallons of standing water in my sump. Should I do and interval system of dosing my kalk? If I did that how exactly could I maintain my ph at night?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell Kalk was what he gave me he used half of it but sealed it after taking some out ever time

evast marine kalk stirrir

And I have the BRS 1.1ml doser

I normally use BRS Kalkwasser

What method of kalk dosing do you think I should do? I want to keep my PH at least at 8.3 and I know I evaporate 2 gallons a day also I think I forgot to mention I have a 90gallon tank and about 12 gallons of standing water in my sump. Should I do and interval system of dosing my kalk? If I did that how exactly could I maintain my ph at night?

Brightwell Kalk is perfect
Avast Kalk Stirrer I assume the K-1 - Is a fine piece. I use the Avast K-2 - These do work better if you modify them.
We can go over the modification later

The over dosing needs to be addressed asap. Do you know how it is over dosing ? Whats causing it ?

The reason the over dose is not raising your pH is because your solution is very very weak.
I don't want to advise on fixing your kalk reactor low pH ( 11.4 ) until we fix the ghost over dosing.

Lets concentrate on that first.

Let me know your thoughts on why and how its over dosing. Thats our first priority.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell Kalk is perfect
Avast Kalk Stirrer I assume the K-1 - Is a fine piece. I use the Avast K-2 - These do work better if you modify them.
We can go over the modification later

The over dosing needs to be addressed asap. Do you know how it is over dosing ? Whats causing it ?

The reason the over dose is not raising your pH is because your solution is very very weak.
I don't want to advise on fixing your kalk reactor low pH ( 11.4 ) until we fix the ghost over dosing.

Lets concentrate on that first.

Let me know your thoughts on why and how its over dosing. Thats our first priority.
Well that’s really my big mystery here, I’ve been using the brightwell stuff for over a months and just this weak I had the two incidents of it overdosing and no Ph spike being detected I tested my probe wich was working just fine I’m thinking about switching to doing 23 five minute periods of dosing (this would get me up to 2 gallons a day) would you recommend I do this only at night to maintain ph or do it throughout the day? I think after I try this out we can then see what’s really wrong without the same consequences of an overdose would using a CO2 scrubber to be my main source of PH stability be a good idea? I know you mentioned you have a relatively similar setup to me so what exactly do you do with your kalk?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to delete the apex program that is dosing to pH. That is your #1 problem.
Manually program your BRS doser to dose your 23 - 5 minute doses during your lights out period.
Never ever set dose to a pH ever again.

Once you have this programmed, then we will let that run for a week.
Please 100% stop chasing ph.

Once this has ran flawless for a week we will modify your kalk stirrer if it needs it.
It may not need it.

What corals are you keeping in your tank?

Can you send a full tank shot of your display with all white lights. DO NOT SEND A WINDEX BLUE PICTURE.

Once I see the tank, then we will move to the next step.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back