Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Epiphytes

Hydroids on an eelgrass flower shoot.

Ascidians and coiled worms are epiphytes on this eelgrass blade.

Eelgrass heavily fouled with algal epiphytes
10px_spacer.gif
As with any surface in the marine environment, seagrass leaves provide a place for planktonic organisms to settle. When they settle on seagrass leaves, they are called epiphytes (sessile organisms that grow on plants). Epiphytes of seagrasses include algae (micro and macro), bacteria, fungi, sponges, bryozoans, tunicates, protozoa, hydroids, crustaceans and mollusks. Of all of these, algae are the most abundant and diverse group to colonize seagrass leaves. Algal epiphytes significantly contribute to the primary productivity of the ecosystem (20-60%), and form the base of many food webs within seagrass communities.

This is why, I partner with seaweed.​

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/50582

Abstract​

Biofilms are a mixture of complex communities of organisms mostly composed of diverse bacteria that vary depending on the surrounding environmental conditions induced by physical and chemical factors. In biofilms, symbionts play major roles in the relationship among organisms by the production of bioactive molecules involved in quorum sensing signaling. A cohesive structure of a multi‐layer of extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) such as polysaccharides and proteins is the base of biofilm structural organization. Biofilms can be found in a variety of habitats, on free‐living, on the surface of other organisms or inert surfaces, both in aquatic as well as terrestrial environments.

Note the term, quorum sensing bacteria where bacteria in biofilm of algae surface communicate with bacteria in biomass of algae interior.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found myself focused on #4. After I read John Tullock’s book, Natural Reef Aquariuns, I decided to emulate a compatiable bio type so I choose a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon, with emphases on filter feeders.​

“Debunking the myth that reef aquariums need to be wildly expensive and technologically complex, John Tullock offers a new, radically simple approach to producing beautiful, captive microcosms.
Using live rock and live sand as part of a natural filtration system, the home aquarist can now create vibrant reef tanks that are biologically stable and simple to maintain.“

“With Tullocks suggestions, the reefkeeper can now mimic natural habitats such as a Florida Keys Lagoon, a Caribbean Turtle Grass Flat, an Indo-Pacific Deep Cave, or a Red Sea Patch Reef. With more than 200 color photographs and illustrations, Natural Reef Aquariums provides inspiration for both beginning and expert marine reef hobbyists.“

“Microbes in the coral holobiont: partners through evolution, development, and ecological interactions”​

Janelle R. Thompson1* Hanny E. Rivera1,2 Collin J. Closek3 Mónica Medina3*
  • 1Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
  • 2Department of Biology, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, USA
  • 3Department of Biology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
In the last two decades, genetic and genomic studies have revealed the astonishing diversity and ubiquity of microorganisms. Emergence and expansion of the human microbiome project has reshaped our thinking about how microbes control host health—not only as pathogens, but also as symbionts. In coral reef environments, scientists have begun to examine the role that microorganisms play in coral life history. Herein, we review the current literature on coral-microbe interactions within the context of their role in evolution, development, and ecology. We ask the following questions, first posed by McFall-Ngai et al. (2013) in their review of animal evolution, with specific attention to how coral-microbial interactions may be affected under future environmental conditions: (1) How do corals and their microbiome affect each other's genomes? (2) How does coral development depend on microbial partners? (3) How is homeostasis maintained between corals and their microbial symbionts? (4) How can ecological approaches deepen our understanding of the multiple levels of coral-microbial interactions? Elucidating the role that microorganisms play in the structure and function of the holobiont is essential for understanding how corals maintain homeostasis and acclimate to changing environmental conditions”.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back