Evansi Anthias

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thinking of getting a school of Evansi Anthias and trying to figure out the multiple feedings required. Is there not any temperature controlled auto feeders for things like brine or mysis shrimp? Not a fan of dried food

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had my Anthais for years and feed twice only per day.
They feed with everyone else, no special treatment.
Is there anything special you do for them? I just bought a small school of 6 and would love to hear from someone with first hand experience with them before they arrive next week. I have lots of tangs in the tank so I worry about them being super shy.

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@crazyfishmom Just as a heads up if you are in the USA, Evansi anthias are pretty hard to find healthy from the start. It took me about 2-3 months to source mine. Many places I reached out to refuse to carry them because it’s common for them to die before being weened onto aquarium food. I ordered 3 and ended up with 1 (after the place I ordered from lost several due to this issue, then you have things like uronema to worry about). Not crazy pricey, but decently pricey fish.

Amazing and gorgeous fish, and I wish I had more, but I wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

To answer your question, look into the avast marine plank auto feeder. This thing has been awesome and my 4 Anthias (2 Dispar, 1 Evansi, 1 sunburst) do great with it. This is a “luxury” auto feeder, but my personal opinion is it's the perfect fit for Anthias owners. It feeds and rehydrates freeze dried food. I didn’t know if you were counting freeze dried in the category of “dried food” or referring to pellets and flakes

Mine hid for maybe 1.5 weeks before coming out. They were more brave when there was more than one though.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@crazyfishmom Just as a heads up if you are in the USA, Evansi anthias are pretty hard to find healthy from the start. It took me about 2-3 months to source mine. Many places I reached out to refuse to carry them because it’s common for them to die before being weened onto aquarium food. I ordered 3 and ended up with 1 (after the place I ordered from lost several due to this issue, then you have things like uronema to worry about). Not crazy pricey, but decently pricey fish.

Amazing and gorgeous fish, and I wish I had more, but I wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

To answer your question, look into the avast marine plank auto feeder. This thing has been awesome and my 4 Anthias (2 Dispar, 1 Evansi, 1 sunburst) do great with it. This is a “luxury” auto feeder, but my personal opinion is it's the perfect fit for Anthias owners. It feeds and rehydrates freeze dried food. I didn’t know if you were counting freeze dried in the category of “dried food” or referring to pellets and flakes

Mine hid for maybe 1.5 weeks before coming out. They were more brave when there was more than one though.
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

This seller has about 300 of them that have made it through quarantine. It’s my first time purchasing from him but he has great reviews on Facebook so I’m going to try. If all goes well I’ll come back in and let you know. I’ll go ahead and look into the feeder. Thank you for the recommendation. I’ve had bad luck with feeders in the past but those were pellet based ones. I definitely want to stay away from pellets if possible.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything special you do for them? I just bought a small school of 6 and would love to hear from someone with first hand experience with them before they arrive next week. I have lots of tangs in the tank so I worry about them being super shy.
No special treatment whatsoever
Feed twice per day with everyone else

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back