Fast dry silicone???

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to rearrange one of the baffles and my sump to accommodate a bigger skimmer . Is there a silicone that I could use that doesn’t take 24 hours to cure so I could have to some back up and running sooner than 24 hours ? I noticed the gorilla silicone is waterproof and 30 minutes but I don’t think it’s re-safe because it says it’s mildew and mold resistant ?? Help please. Ty

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has to be done fast, split some silicone air line length wise on one side. Slip this over the edges of the baffle and put it in. This will keep it close to water tight and be ready instantly.

Just make sure you cut your baffle about 3/16" narrower than the actual inside dimension of the sump.

Another advantage is it's moveable then.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid anything mold/mildew resistant myself.

I know the aqueon sealant you can get at any petco dries fast, but I don't think you are going to find anything 30 minute fast unless you do something like what Dantimdad suggested, which is a slick idea, if your baffle is cut to size needed for that to work

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to rearrange one of the baffles and my sump to accommodate a bigger skimmer . Is there a silicone that I could use that doesn’t take 24 hours to cure so I could have to some back up and running sooner than 24 hours ? I noticed the gorilla silicone is waterproof and 30 minutes but I don’t think it’s re-safe because it says it’s mildew and mold resistant ?? Help please. Ty
Dantimdad had a great idea. But, if you choose to use silicone, make sure it’s reef safe AND cured completely. I would wait 3 days for it to cure personally if adding to my sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
two part Marine Epoxy. About 2-3 hrs to a great cure

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two part Marine Epoxy. About 2-3 hrs to a great cure
You've used this with no ill effects? Any certain brand? Using for baffles in an aio.
Thanks!

Fyi, because im excited,
(but crunched on time)
I'm using a 90g tank ive had sitting and covered and in the way because i cant drill it. So Now I'm killing '3birds of paradise with one airstone' by making it into an all-in-one dual tank that sits on the floor beside the couch as an end table. but want both ends to be seperate viewable tanks, so the typical rear chamber is going in the middle to filter both sides. the Nice part is it's big enough to sit a full sized protien skimmer in it. I'll prob make a build post at some point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You've used this with no ill effects? Any certain brand? Using for baffles in an aio.
Thanks!

Fyi, because im excited,
(but crunched on time)
I'm using a 90g tank ive had sitting and covered and in the way because i cant drill it. So Now I'm killing '3birds of paradise with one airstone' by making it into an all-in-one dual tank that sits on the floor beside the couch as an end table. but want both ends to be seperate viewable tanks, so the typical rear chamber is going in the middle to filter both sides. the Nice part is it's big enough to sit a full sized protien skimmer in it. I'll prob make a build post at some point.
No effects. My favorite is either marineland aquarium sealant and also Aqueon brand

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 93 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back