Feeding a Copperband

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how about that! I felt a little awkward plugging my product on your thread seeking advice but what a small world, you already had it in your freezer. :becky:

I appreciate the support and I hope next time you have better luck.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefFrenzy, here is a proposition for you. Sell tiny frozen whole salt water fish. I can get tiny mackerel about 1/4" long but they are freeze dried and have the consistency of wood. This hobby needs tiny, whole fish. That is the best food for most fish but it is not available in that size.
Like the fry in this picture from the Florida Keys.

Paul I don't want to hijack the OP thread so I will reach out to you privately. I have been following your posts for years and have wanted to compare "notes."

We do have a couple additives we are playing with and I just returned from Todd Gardner's biology lab in Riverhead, NY this past weekend bouncing ideas off him.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Riverhead all the time. I look forward to talking to you

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how about that! I felt a little awkward plugging my product on your thread seeking advice but what a small world, you already had it in your freezer. :becky:

I appreciate the support and I hope next time you have better luck.
Larry you make a great product yes my copper band eats LRS also...along with the other 100 fish I have (great stuff)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I basically plugged the LRS foods here but I feel the key to my CBB transitioning onto prepared foods was the fact that I had a TON of aptasia and worms in my 180 that he was able to graze on and decimate for a few months before learning to accept frozen mysis and other offerings. I hvae had him about 18 months and to this day this fish still prefers Mysis over anything else. when I feed the LRS, he will hunt the mysis out of the water column before touching any other food.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion would be to try another batch of PE mysis, it's the only thing my copperband will eat. Although, I don't feed him msysis more than once every couple months. He stays fat and healthy just foraging all day in my tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was nice speaking to you today Larry.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, after reading many of your posts it was a pleasure to learn about some of the ideas you have for long term health of our aquarium inhabitants. You certainly have me thinking...
:tea:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry, if you use any of my ideas, especially about the worms, I would not eat the food myself. Just saying. :sick:

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright everyone here we go again..... I got another copper band....He eradicated the aptaisia in he tank and he is not eating....I have tried LRS, PE Mysis, H20 Life Marine Fusion... I have tried the net that Lesley suggested but no dice. Where do I get black worms from???? I noticed him pull some kind of worm out of the rock work and I think the black worms may be the best way to go

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this a while ago about copperbands. You Can Succeed with the Copperband Butterflyfish

Awesome write up Paul!!!! That is everything you need to know about them... I found a couple of local fish stores that carry black worms... I have seen him peck at a coral here and there but nothing serious enough to expel him from the tank... I am worried that when he does run out of critters to eat in the tank then the next best thing is my corals.. lol ... Thanks again for the help and I will keep this thread updated with the feeding

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the black worms didn't work for this guy...He seems interested but doesn't eat them... Darn it!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am determined not to lose this guy.... I still have three foods I haven't tried yet. I am going get bloodworms, clams and live brine... If one of those doesn't work I don't know what will

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter (SdGuy) told me not to give up on the black worms...So I went out and got clams on the half shell and threw one into the tank... He immediately started picking at it... I saw that he was in the mood to eat and threw some more black worms in... Success!!!! He ate one then started going crazy for them.... Thanks everyone of the help... I couldn't have done it with out you guys

Back