Fighting conch info?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 150g. Big eaters. Have to be careful they don't starve. On occasion I rubber band a small piece of raw shrimp to a rock, to make sure mine is fed. Mine is an acrobat - flips itself around with its large foot. Name is derived from the shape of the shell, not their behavior. I wonder what those little eyes see......

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 150g. Big eaters. Have to be careful they don't starve. On occasion I rubber band a small piece of raw shrimp to a rock, to make sure mine is fed. Mine is an acrobat - flips itself around with its large foot. Name is derived from the shape of the shell, not their behavior. I wonder what those little eyes see......
That would be a whelk. Conchs do not have the ability to eat meat, the are obligate vegans. Whelks, however, are carnivorous. They like the reef steak. So if your "conch" is eating shrimp, it is not a conch at all.

blkflm6888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140924_165344.jpg

He is a climber

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a whelk. Conchs do not have the ability to eat meat, the are obligate vegans. Whelks, however, are carnivorous. They like the reef steak. So if your "conch" is eating shrimp, it is not a conch at all.
You know, I've never actually witnessed the conch eating the shrimp. The shrimp just disappears. Maybe the rest of my CUC takes care of the shrimp. And, maybe I should thrown in a few more algae wafers. Thanks MrDJeep!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I've never actually witnessed the conch eating the shrimp. The shrimp just disappears. Maybe the rest of my CUC takes care of the shrimp. And, maybe I should thrown in a few more algae wafers. Thanks MrDJeep!

Not a problem. I thought it odd that you would feed your conch shrimp...I've seen crazier, I guess. :tongue:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys do get very big in time. When they do, they can topple any coral you have in the sand & it gets annoying. But best way to keep your sand bed clean for sure. I have probably 8 to 10 in my 200g. Couple in the sump too.

OP
OP
A

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted to get rid of my $1 hermit crabs. They don't seem to do much of anything compared to my fighting conch. Is there anything beneficial that a hermit crab does that a fighting conch doesn't?

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my tank. Put him in 2 months ago. I seen him yesterday . The first time sunce i put him in. I was cleaning the tank and vac the sand when i finally saw him.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine stays out night and day roaming the tank. I am getting ready to move it to a larger tank tonight... Soon it will be in the DT for all visitors to see instead of only in my sons room..
He decided he wanted all his little critters in the DT, and did not want a tank anymore :(
Now I have to tear down one of the 5 tanks we have up and going...

OP
OP
A

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vac the sand/gravel usually during my weekly water changes. Will the usually vac of sand/gravel not be a good idea since the fighting conch is suppose to get much of it's food source from the sand/gravel?

Allen

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vac the sand/gravel usually during my weekly water changes. Will the usually vac of sand/gravel not be a good idea since the fighting conch is suppose to get much of it's food source from the sand/gravel?

Allen
I never vac the substrate in my tank.. the snails and other critter turn it for me throughout the week.. I just get the water out and put new in from the top of my tank.. I never bother the floor of my system.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two in my 150dt for 8 months. They clean top of sand and burry themselves every day to come out at night. Don't climb, have never seen them interact. Just bump into each other and move on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back