Filter clams

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few basic filter feeding clams that came on some LR I purchased. I have recently noticed that the inside is a beautiful faint blue color. It does not have a mantel it extends beyond its shell, but I would love to be able to see this part of the clam. As it is all three are mounted opening down and I can only see inside with a flashlight. Is it safe to move these guys where I will be able to see inside?

Better yet, will they even mount in a way that I can see inside? The foot comes out of the opening *shrug*. As you can tell I have no knowledge of clams, so be gentle lol.

Here is the best picture I have of the clams
100_1138.jpg

The tank is full of LR and such now, this was taken 5 months ago. Bought it as live rock at the LFS and didn't even relize it had clams on it!.. they survived the cycle though *Shrug*

Last edited:

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the way they are. There foot like thing is hard and if you unmount it theres a good chance it will die. I think they are called Turkey Wing Clams. I had a few when I started out in this hobby that came on some gulf rock

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that gulf rock, and are those live corals on the clams?

OP
OP
R

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, and yes. Gulf rock with more live coral on top of the clams, and some red calerpa. This is exactly how I purhcased the rock.. I didn't even know the LFS sold LR with corals or more particularly clams on them at the time.. that rock only cost me $40 lol. I never did figure out what the "coral" growing on top of the clams is, but the LFS has fist sized chunks of it that they sell for $30 now *shrug* I meant to ask them what it is haha.

So, there really is no way to move them? I guess that is why the LFS left them there. :squigglemouth:

tangov559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these the same as the cleaner clams you can buy at the seafood store?

Back