OP
OP
dcfluegel

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have to say that I Love to use Bio Balls and I do understand that some people read NIT in the system. I have run my system for 5 years and have never have a NIT problem. but i do use a filter sock as well for my Bio balls. My filtration is in 5 steps. first is my socks and filter fiber cloth (aka SOFT Filtration) next it hits my bio ball drip plate, 3rd it go's in to my Bio Balls (AKA Bio Box), after that it go's into my mechanical area, (aka Mech Filter system) were i have my 2 skimmers rated at 400 gallons each along with my 25w UV that i only run for 1 hour every 6 hours, and 2 Phos Ban 550s with carbon and GFO, and my last stage is the return. I Like chimi pure and i know it is a nice thing to have I personaly Love Bio filtration as a main filtration and I have never had a problem with NIT at any time after my cyckle. Just putting in my 2 cents is all.

gotcha - are you using any form of refugium in this setup?

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know what i did froget to add that. i have kids screemin and people trying to talk to me while i was trying to type it out. yes i have a 55 gallon refugium with 65 lbs of LR and a 1" sand bed. I have 6 mangrove saplinings, 3 sea fans, 10 shaving brush bushes, 2 Halimeda Plants, a little bit of grape kelp, some penny micro algae, some Chaeto (green and purple), 1 Red tree sponge and last but not least my Ulva. I also have 3 types of pods in there as well and a large cleaning crew as well.

But before i installed my refug my nitrate levels were less than 0.1 ppm. and after i have never had it come up on a test sence i installed my refuge. so ya i have a refugium.:bigsmile:

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see the research i have done over the years i came out with 6 things that i go by with any and all my tanks.

1. Bio Filtration: Filtration from LR and Bio Balls with socks.
2. Heating: Heating should be from 2 or more heaters. I have 4 500 watt heaters in my system. 3 running to keep heat and 1 as a back up just incase the temp gets to low.
3. U.V. sterlizers: IF you are going to run a U.V. than you need to keep in mind wattage and size. the MYTH the UV will take out things in your tank is just that a MYTH. IF it dos than it is a VARY small amount. and if your going to have a UV on your system than here are 2 tips. get a UV that is rated to HALF your system size and only run it for 1 to 2 hours every 6 hours.
4. Skimmers: There are a lot of skimmers out on the market and you want the best. I always say go as big as you can with skimmers. i have 2 skimmers rated to 400 gallons each.
5. Refugiums: I see a Refugium as a vital part of a saltwater system. you have plants and LR in it as well as Pods to grow and thrive. It is needed.
6. Lighting: Is one of the more expencive parts of the hobby. I build my own LED lighting for my tanks and there are MILLIONS of vids to learn how too. and there are colors that you need to HAVE in the lighting. there is a good lighting section on reef 2 reef and they have really good info and you should read on.

I am planing on running 2 frag tanks on the system here soon each is 75 gallons so i can sell frags from my tank and make more money to get more things for my tank like fish :bigsmile:

But this is all my openion and this is what i go by when i set up systems. I just hope it helps

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay - so I think we are comfortable with the basic design/ layout (will get glass baffles cut on Wednesday or Thursday, have filter sock holder en route) - now I need to pick some brains about stocking/ setting up the 'fuge...

- looking at going with a 4" DSB - did some reading on the mud options and was not terribly impressed - think I may just use live sand, add some dry base rock and some Dr Tim's, though I did consider getting one of the Fiji mud 24oz boosters and mixing with the sand (waste of money?)...

- planning on keeping initial macro algae simple - chaeto and a couple mangroves... maybe a shaving brush (Pencillus sp.)?

- planning on keeping livestock simple/ minimal - some algae eating snails (nerites, ceriths), a couple of nassirius snails for detritus (will there really be any detritus for these guys or should I just put em up in the DT?)... PODS!... may add a couple of peppermint shrimp down the road, but want to make sure the pod population is stable/ sustained first...

am I missing anything major here - or am I overcomplicating anything unneccessarily? considered adding some caluerpa, but would prefer not to leave 'fuge lights on 24/7 to keep them from going asexual...

thanks!

I'll try to answer some, i hope others will chime in too with opinions:

1) the DSB is unnecessary IMO. Keep some sand in there for rooting macros and life diversity but don't try a DSB in a limited space sump, this is just my opinion. The mud is cool stuff but I really don't think it is necessary plus it needs to be changed every year or two. Blech. I heard it grows pods like crazy tho, my friend likes the stuff (for now).

I like a mixed substrate for refugiums, the more variety the better in terms of particle size so as to allow more variety of fauna to be produced.

2) for stocking, I would stock it would pods and chaeto or other macro algae (chaeto is prob the hardiest/easiest to grow) and then literally let the pods infest everything. For a true refugium you would not add any predators that would affect the population of pods/fauna, so nassarius snails and ESP peppermint shrimp are out. I wouldn't even add snails as they will eat the same algae that the pods eat. Try adding a variety of pods as well.

The best book to read on this is Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner. If you haven't read, its an amazing book and has some gorgeous pics inside as well. Well worth having.

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O one thing i didnt put on the list with the bio balls. if you are going to run bio balls it is a lot better to have a 40-60 mix. 40% bio balls and 60% LR.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back