Filter sock vs. Beneficial bacteria dile

EverythingAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Sorry about the title of thread…should read dilemma (instead of dile).

So I have a fresh water planted tank (2 weeks old) and I’ve been very confused on some conflicting information on the internet. My tank is a UNS 16 gallon AIO…using Seachem Tidal Matrix in pouch and two bio blocks that came with the tank, and some Marineland bio balls. I chose to use a filter sock instead of the foam that came with the tank. My question is why do some say to remove the filter sock during cycling when using beneficial bacteria? I’ve never heard of this before. Is this true? Best recommendations for bacteria dosing? Any advice or opinions would be great! Thank you!!

IMG_3585.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet is filled with information that may not be applicable to your situation, for a number of reasons.

Cycling tanks (fresh or Salt) refers (usually) to the establishment of bacteria populations that will consume ammonia and nitrite so that any fishes present are not poisoned when ammonia levels rise do to the presence of the fishes who excrete ammonia causing their own death if the tank isn't "cycled."

Planted aquariums and coral aquariums don't need to be cycled because the plants and corals will uptake the ammonia and consume it for energy purposes. If there are no fishes to be poisoned, or to produce the waste ammonia then a cycle isn't needed to protect the fish.

As far as filtration, the sponges and socks can provide substrate for bacteria to grow on when a tank is being cycled. If the tank is bare and the best substrate for bacteria to dwell on is the sponge or filter socks then cycling with them in place could be defeated when the socks or foam are cleaned, removing the bacteria and uncycling the tank, effectively, in theory.

As far a why some folks would recommend removing the filter sock when cycling? I presume they are trying to encourage the bacteria to grow on other surfaces than the sock to prevent folks from rinsing the sock and slowing the cycle? That's my theory on these statements, but I can't peer into the dim bulbs of the internet and necessarily see what they are trying to illuminate? HTH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EverythingAquatics

EverythingAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet is filled with information that may not be applicable to your situation, for a number of reasons.

Cycling tanks (fresh or Salt) refers (usually) to the establishment of bacteria populations that will consume ammonia and nitrite so that any fishes present are not poisoned when ammonia levels rise do to the presence of the fishes who excrete ammonia causing their own death if the tank isn't "cycled."

Planted aquariums and coral aquariums don't need to be cycled because the plants and corals will uptake the ammonia and consume it for energy purposes. If there are no fishes to be poisoned, or to produce the waste ammonia then a cycle isn't needed to protect the fish.

As far as filtration, the sponges and socks can provide substrate for bacteria to grow on when a tank is being cycled. If the tank is bare and the best substrate for bacteria to dwell on is the sponge or filter socks then cycling with them in place could be defeated when the socks or foam are cleaned, removing the bacteria and uncycling the tank, effectively, in theory.

As far a why some folks would recommend removing the filter sock when cycling? I presume they are trying to encourage the bacteria to grow on other surfaces than the sock to prevent folks from rinsing the sock and slowing the cycle? That's my theory on these statements, but I can't peer into the dim bulbs of the internet and necessarily see what they are trying to illuminate? HTH.
Thank you so much!! I truly appreciate your feedback!!!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back