First corals wont open

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So they just wont open up I added them 4 hours ago any help imma test my parameters as apart from that I dont know what it could be.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So they just wont open up I added them 4 hours ago any help imma test my parameters as apart from that I dont know what it could be.
It's only been 4 hours. If they still aren't opening tomorrow, then start to look for reasons. Otherwise, give them time to adjust.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been 4 hours. If they still aren't opening tomorrow, then start to look for reasons. Otherwise, give them time to adjust.
Is there any flow in the tank? They all look fine to me other than that.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corals will stay closed for 1-2 days after adding them, probably longer if they're soft corals, just wait a few days, if they Still aren't open then check your parameters

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to list your parameters and what test kits you are using

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to list your parameters and what test kits you are using
IMG_7524.jpeg
IMG_7523.jpeg
These test results really aren't good. I have one fish I added a week ago and ammonia skyrocketed showing everything else as 0. Im gonna dose some beneficial bacteria and wait or what or your thoughts

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay

im really scared everything gonna die now
It's OK, we've all been there, first tanks can be stressful, so here's what you need to know
Corals and fish can tolerate trace amounts of ammonia, you don't have nitrites which is important. Its not necessary ro dose the bacteria, as all the bacteria your tank needs is already in there. I'd also recommend getting different test kits than your API. Also where's your salinity at? It's also important to remember that corals do need darkness. I'd recommend getting a timer for your lights if it dosent already have one built in, corals are best under 9 hours of daylight, don't feed too much as that can raise the ammonia, nitrates and phosphate. For test kits I recommend Red Sea Foundation Pro for calcium and alkalinity, as corals need that to build their skeleton, when it's low, dose calcium and alkalinity as per the instructions on the bottle or however much your corals use/need. Also get Red Sea Nitrate Pro. I also recommend a Hannah digital checker for phosphates as it's the most accurate method, and a refractometer, NOT hydrometer, for salinity, PH will usually correlate with alkalinity and ammonia should be low to zero, ammonia will rise SLIGHTLY after feedings, but usually such a small amount that nothing will get hurt, also make sure to top off your tank with RO water, not saltwater, in order to replace what's evaporated, I'd recommend Red Sea 3 in 1 ATO. Good luck on your first tank!

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's OK, we've all been there, first tanks can be stressful, so here's what you need to know
Corals and fish can tolerate trace amounts of ammonia, you don't have nitrites which is important. Its not necessary ro dose the bacteria, as all the bacteria your tank needs is already in there. I'd also recommend getting different test kits than your API. Also where's your salinity at? It's also important to remember that corals do need darkness. I'd recommend getting a timer for your lights if it dosent already have one built in, corals are best under 9 hours of daylight, don't feed too much as that can raise the ammonia, nitrates and phosphate. For test kits I recommend Red Sea Foundation Pro for calcium and alkalinity, as corals need that to build their skeleton, when it's low, dose calcium and alkalinity as per the instructions on the bottle or however much your corals use/need. Also get Red Sea Nitrate Pro. I also recommend a Hannah digital checker for phosphates as it's the most accurate method, and a refractometer, NOT hydrometer, for salinity, PH will usually correlate with alkalinity and ammonia should be low to zero, ammonia will rise SLIGHTLY after feedings, but usually such a small amount that nothing will get hurt, also make sure to top off your tank with RO water, not saltwater, in order to replace what's evaporated, I'd recommend Red Sea 3 in 1 ATO. Good luck on your first tank!
Thank you, I didnt test salinity as seeing the ammonia rise up was what i thought i needed. but this high ammonia makes sense considering ive been feeding way to much as my cardinal wasnt eating

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like 0 ammonia (0.25 and 0 are confusing for a lot of people on API). The corals are closed because you just got them. However, you may want to feed a bit extra to get detectable phosphate and nitrate, or add some coral foods. Some fish food additives like vitachem marine also act as coral food.

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like 0 ammonia (0.25 and 0 are confusing for a lot of people on API). The corals are closed because you just got them. However, you may want to feed a bit extra to get detectable phosphate and nitrate, or add some coral foods. Some fish food additives like vitachem marine also act as coral food.
the issue is exactly a week a go i got a bangai cardinal and he would refuse to eat for 3 days then he started eating and ive been over feeding bc he would often not see food or ignore it as he is so scared of me so i think that yes my ammonia has gone up

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the issue is exactly a week a go i got a bangai cardinal and he would refuse to eat for 3 days then he started eating and ive been over feeding bc he would often not see food or ignore it as he is so scared of me so i think that yes my ammonia has gone up

You don't have ammonia. If you had ammonia, it would be greener and there would be nitrite (assuming you already had added cycling bacteria - of which I would say what brand). I would also look at salinity as that is something to test for very frequently.

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have ammonia. If you had ammonia, it would be greener and there would be nitrite (assuming you already had added cycling bacteria - of which I would say what brand). I would also look at salinity as that is something to test for very frequently.
okay so what i do? i will test for salinity aswell

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back