First Non-Nano Build

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a IM 20 for about a year now. I had the opportunity to get my hands on a Waterbox AIO 65.4. I’m planning on transitioning everything from the IM to the WB once it is cycled.

Current Fish
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Spotted Manadrin Goby
2 Mexican Turbo Snails
6 Nassarius Snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Bloodfire Shrimp

Corals
RBTA
Assorted Zoas
Green Candy Cane
Gold Hammer
Toxic Geeen Hammer
Maroon Hammer
Purple tipped Toxic Green Hammer
Rainbow Favia

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would add the equipment I will be using for the WB.

3 AI Prime 16HD
Syncra Silent 5 Return
AI Nero 3 (not sure about this yet)
AI Gyre wave maker
Comline 9004 Skimmer
Amazon ATO Kit
60ish Pounds of rock
1.5 -2 inches of crushed coral substrate.

I have on AI prime already and the kit comes with 2. I decided I’m going to run all three lights if I ever decide to jump into the SPS side of things.

I previously had a Diamond Watchman Goby in the IM, but he managed to jump out of the smallest gap he could. I’ve decided to go with crushed coral and avoid any sand sifters or wrasses at this point. I should note, the WB will be delivered by the end of April.

I have a DIY Chateo reactor going in the IM that I plan on moving over as well, but will need some slight modifications. The IM was my DIY test tank and tbh it’s pretty rough looking with all the tubes and additional wires. The WB will de a center piece tank in the living room and my wife will not let that fly and mess up her “aesthetic.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potential Stocking List

This is where I am running into headaches. I want visitors to see this tank and see vibrant colors, activity and all around entertainment. My all time favorite fish is a CB butterfly. I understand the these fish need ample room to swim but dang I’d love one in this tank.

Current Stocking List
Pair of Standard Clowns (in another tank)
Spotted Mandarin Goby (feeds on frozen just fine, but may wait until I get a good population of pods)
Various CUC
Purple Firefish Goby
Tomini Tang/White tail Tang
Coral Beauty/Firefish Angel
CB butterfly (dream fish, but probably won’t happen)

I’d love some input here. I’m well aware the CB will not do well in this setup and I won’t be adding one, but I did want to stress my love for the look/coloration of the fish for any recommendations.

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the IM 20 sorry for the poor quality. I plan on using some of the rock, but I want to spend a decent amount of time on the next rockscape to maximize room for swimming with bigger fish.
IMG_1408.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update while waiting for the tank to be delivered. I’ve made great friends with the owners of a newly opened LFS. After conversing with them and several other friends in the hobby, I am planning to add a white tail bristletooth tang and tomini tang as first inhabitants outside of the existing fishing in the IM 20

Secondly, I’ve been tossing the idea around in my head regarding a full refugium and dosing “station” in the cabinet. I’ll post individual replies for those below.

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium build for AIO

I’m currently running a DIY chateo reactor in my IM. I’m considering creating a refugium in the stand with a 20g long I have laying around. My thought with this is to using a small return pump in the back of the AIO and a small return pump in the chateo. I plan on getting some acrylic cut for the needed sections. I will also add a small wave maker to help keep the chateo moving.

My reasoning

Cleaning the reactor is a total PIA. I know that this solution may be the “hard way” to do it, but I hate the look of a HOB fuge.

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Dosing station”

With running an AIO an no sump, I’ve been thinking heavily about how to go about setting up a dosing pump without tubes being visible into the back of the tank. I’ve thought about halving the 20g long and doing one half as a dosing chamber and the other half as the fuge. However, this will require a total of 4 small return pumps to ensure that water is being moved appropriately. At this point, I feel like 4 different return pumps is a headache waiting to happen.

I’ve thought about dosing directly into the fuge, but that doesn’t seem like a great idea tbh. The simplest way would be to dose by hand like I do currently.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the IM 20 sorry for the poor quality. I plan on using some of the rock, but I want to spend a decent amount of time on the next rockscape to maximize room for swimming with bigger fish.
IMG_1408.jpeg
Love the clowns!

OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tank was delivered Thursday!!

Set up was easy, putting the stand together is hell for anyone with big fingers, but it’s done.

Ran into my first dilema. I had no logical way to mix almost 70 gallons of water. I usually did it in a five gallon bucket for the small tank which was easy. I came up with a solution with a buddy. I filled the tank with fresh water, put multiple power heads in and am adding salt slowly to mix that way. The math worked out to 33 cups of salt, I’ll be adding it in 5 cup increments throughout the next few days.

I have 50lbs of crushed coral coming in the mail this upcoming week. Upon its arrival, I’m going to pull out about 20 gallons of water and place it in. I have begun work on some diy rock structures as well. Picture below

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
B

bhawkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point in time, I’m going to start doing “weekly” updates.

Yesterday, I had a battery backup/surge protector delivered. I opted to put the return pump, heater and wave maker on the battery backup. I’m in Texas and I don’t trust our power grid lol. Everything else is going on the surge protector side. I’m a stickler about cable management so I need to spend some time under the tank to sort that out.

As of today, I have built two rock arches I am very happy with. Crushed coral was delivered today and added into the tank at about 2 inches depth, but it’s too cloudy to truly tell. At this point, I have a few things left until I can transfer my live rock, 20lbs, from the IM.

1. Let water clear up
2. Get salinity to 1.025, currently sitting at 1.028
3. Transfer ATO setup from IM
4. Seed Pods for my mandarin (he eats frozen)
5. Transfer everything over.

I had a bottle of API quick start laying around and dumped it in. I know it’s not the best stuff but I’m not overly concerned seeing as how I am going to transfer 20lbs of live rock in.

Photos below!!

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 6

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back