Fish aggression discussion

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I have a pair of lemon butterfly’s in my 100 gallon fish only tank, and in that tank I also have a hippo tang (she’s not very big I’ve had her since she was super small but I think she’s outgrown it now I’ll explain more) one of my lemon butterfly’s has always been a bit more shy than my other one, they both eat but one has never been really enthusiastic about eating where as the other one dang near jumps out the tank over nori and mysis. I’ve noticed as of yesterday my hippo tang was starting to be a little bit of a bully to my lemon butterfly nothing crazy but just a occasional charge then swerve right before the head no scalpel use or anything and when I noticed that I also noticed I only had one lemon butterfly out and about that being the more aggressive stronger butterfly and so I started looking around found my other one under a rock hiding breathing heavy it’s not laying on it’s side or anything it’s swimming in place just fine and it honestly seems like his head is on a swivel because he is constantly facing the entrance of the cave he chose to hide in and won’t even take spot feedings. I can’t get a video or pic of it because it won’t even leave to eat but it’s not showing any signs of white spot or anything besides heavy breathing and I’m wondering if my hippo is being mean to it or if it sounds more like disease behavior. This brings me back around to my next question where can I post this hippo tang on here free to a good home and who wants a hippo tang haha.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the for sale section, price free, no shipping.

Old Glory. FREE Dory?
Yep haha free dory it is her time to be let go I rescued this girl when she was maybe 2 inches and now she has doubled in size over the last year and a half or so and has moved her way through my tanks up to my largest where she now lives apparently very upset.
IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5374.jpeg

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, wish I was closer. Been wanting another hippo for a while since my old one died... tank ain't been the same without a huge, vibrant, broad - sided fish.
I have this girl so we’ll trained she is always front and center ready to beg for treats haha

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hippo do the exact same thing. It was purchased around the size of a quarter. When it reached about four inches, it went psycho and attacked and killed four fish. The last fish, a harlequin tusk, was cowering in a bottom corner of the tank with the hippo ripping at its fins. Your butterfly is stressed out. Between not being a great feeder, and the attacks, it is ripe to come down with disease. The hippo must go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back