Fish ID please

Gon2srf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy isn’t a neon or engineer goby and I’m still having trouble identifying.
Is about 2” long lays in the sand and is very comfortable IN and around my carpet anemone. Paired clowns don’t seem to mind him. He cleared a little “divot” in the sand and lays in that when not hovering around the anemone. Peaceful, but will hold his own when bothered.
Any help would be good so I can make sure he gets proper care. LFS had trouble IDing
Two horizontal white stripes on black body with a long yellow anal and dorsal fins and tail.

478D6C10-B56A-428C-B82C-31BC3D2764B0.jpeg C0845D18-6A93-4710-A8F1-5CF326CD6DDF.jpeg 437203CE-870A-4455-91BF-83F8DFA362E0.jpeg 57472638-E575-48A0-AE79-52770C56CAF9.jpeg

OP
OP
Gon2srf

Gon2srf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the fang blend was a possibility but most pics I saw seemed to be more of a reddish body. And the fact it’s in the anemone seemed new to me.
thanks all!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of warning. This is a species that survives by mimicking a cleaner wrasse and biting chunks out of other fish. There are a few species in the family but they aren't your normal friendly blennies and I would personally return that (it also looks very skinny and they can be extremely hard to feed). I had two come in ands box fillers once and no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to eat, they simply need something that we don't want to give them ie a fish population to munch on.

If you do return it then watch out for its bite. They have interestingly developed a venom that makes the bite painless, so they can escape the wrath of whoever they just bit, which contains opioids.

So great evolutionary wonder but not great average tank fish.

OP
OP
Gon2srf

Gon2srf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of warning. This is a species that survives by mimicking a cleaner wrasse and biting chunks out of other fish. There are a few species in the family but they aren't your normal friendly blennies and I would personally return that (it also looks very skinny and they can be extremely hard to feed). I had two come in ands box fillers once and no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to eat, they simply need something that we don't want to give them ie a fish population to munch on.

If you do return it then watch out for its bite. They have interestingly developed a venom that makes the bite painless, so they can escape the wrath of whoever they just bit, which contains opioids.

So great evolutionary wonder but not great average tank fish.
Wow! Thanks! Will do!

Back