BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am official starting up a quarantine system to stock up my tank. thought I would reach out for some do and don't as I am little hesitant to play doctor.
Here is where I am starting with the QT. take look and let me know if there is anything missing.

IMG_4821.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you're off to a great start with your medications. I have pretty much the exact same list of meds, but I would also recommend the following:
  • Get a Hanna Copper checker for testing copper levels. I have the same Salifert Copper test kit and it's a little difficult to interpret the colors. When you're dealing with copper, especially ionic copper like Cupramine, there's a very narrow window for the therapeutic levels. Too low and you won't kill the parasites thereby defeating the purpose of the treatment. Too high and you risk killing the fish. The Hanna Copper checker takes the guesswork out of testing and ensures you get your copper to the correct, safe levels.
  • While Cupramine will certainly work, it is an ionic copper that certain types of fish are more sensitive to. Also as mentioned above, it has a narrower therapeutic range so there's less margin for error. I'd recommend going with a chelated copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe. Most of the veterans in quarantining on the forums here recommend Copper Power. You can see a chart in this thread that shows how certain fish handle chelated vs. ionic copper.
  • I would add API General Cure to your list of medications as it's great for mixing with Focus to treat internal parasites. It's also a bit less harsh than Prazipro. This is not a must as you already have Prazipro and Metroplex, but it's nice that it contains both of these in one medication.
As far as dos and don'ts of quarantining, Humblefish made a great thread here that answers that very question. Hope this helps!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the cupramine and get copper power, also get a hanna copper. Reading that test is hard, especially with cupramine. Also get general cure to treat internal stuff with the focus.

Edit: Oh plus one above, said everything I did.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@piranhaman00 @muzikalmatt
Thanks guys, It reassuring that you both said the same thing about the Hanna Checker and Copper Power. I will get them on the way. The first fish going in the QT on my fish list is going to be a tomini Tang. would you guys say that is one of the more sensitive fish to start with? or should I move on to something a bit hardier?

Also thank you for the links to the other threads I Ould jump in there and do some research

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all! I highly recommend checking out all of the stickied threads in the fish and disease forum as there is a wealth of information and knowledge in all of them.

Regarding your fish order, I think I would stick with the rule of stocking in order of aggression. (i.e. going with the most passive/docile fish first and progressing up to the most aggressive/territorial last) I wouldn't factor in the hardiness of the fish.

There's another thread Humblefish made that goes through fish that are difficult to QT and how to handle each one. You can find that one here.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add a sponge filter on an air pump, two benefits. One, extra aeration that the fish will need during medications. Two, extra biofiltration. Without having rock you need "real estate" for the bacteria to colonize. My QT tanks get food heavily to get everyone fat, lots of ammonia produced. Want to make sure its all taken care of without a "crash".

What size QT tank? I would also highly recommend two QT tanks and do a transfer at 14 days of Cu but not necessary.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add a sponge filter on an air pump, two benefits. One, extra aeration that the fish will need during medications. Two, extra biofiltration. Without having rock you need "real estate" for the bacteria to colonize. My QT tanks get food heavily to get everyone fat, lots of ammonia produced. Want to make sure its all taken care of without a "crash".

What size QT tank? I would also highly recommend two QT tanks and do a transfer at 14 days of Cu but not necessary.
Thank, I can grab one when I pick up my other QT tank. I do plan on having 2 QTs. One is going to be a 24 gal AIO that I am tearing down after 5 years now that my new setup is up and cycled. The other is going to be a 10 gal with a HOB filter. I am eventually going to get rid of the 24 gal all together once I get through the initial stocking and keep the 10 gal around for emergencies. Its just easier to store.

As for Biofilter. I have had the 2 media bag with bio balls in the DTs sump for a month now and I have the thought to run filter floss on the AIO and change it out every couple days. but it might be good to get the air pump on the 10 gal?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back