Fish sucked into wavemaker

Parrickt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what to do just got this captive yellow tang the other day and I came home from work and he was stuck to the wave maker! He is barely swimming and his eye looks like it is about to pop

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Any pics of the poor fellow? Not much you can do if the fish is beyond rescue. Sometimes it’s best to euthanize so it doesn’t suffer.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Photos please? First step turn off the wave maker and gently remove him. I’d set up a quarantine tank and treat him with bacterial medication like kanaplex and/or metroplex. Make sure the water is well oxygenated in a quarantine tank. If it’s a fowlr tank you can treat meds in tank but qt is a better option/more recommended. But sometimes depending on the injury fish have little to no chance of survival unfortunately especially if he was already weak and a young/small fish. And then sometimes the best thing to do is monitor or euthanize and increase oxygen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t know what to do just got this captive yellow tang the other day and I came home from work and he was stuck to the wave maker! He is barely swimming and his eye looks like it is about to pop
Unfortunately and even without what would be a helpful video, fish is likely weak and may be moribund in which its not stable enough to eat or swim normal at this point.
Please if you wish send a 20 sec video but also increase oxygen right away if possible

OP
OP
Parrickt

Parrickt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted it twice on accident the first post had the video attached

Attachments

• IMG_0398.MOV
    23.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted it twice on accident the first post had the video attached
Other post has info needed. The fish is indeed moribund and a victim of aggression and quite thin

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @vetteguy53081 - another general point, it's uncommon for fish that are healthy to be sucked against or into something there is usually some other issue causing weakness, unless there is an extreme size difference.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back