Fishless Cycle- No progress tank just sitting there.

iNTEL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Hope all is well. I just started a nano reef WB 10g. I am on Day 4 of using Dr Tims One and Only. Day 1 I added the Ammonia, before that I added the One and Only bacteria. Day 2, 3 and 4 all the tested parameters are the same. Ammonia is 2 ppm, Nitrite is 0 ppm, and PH is 7.8. Water temp is 79. I thought I would have seen some changes in these levels by now but all are still the same. Not sure how to proceed from this point? Any help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Cheers.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't expect much in the first week unless you've added a bunch of good live rock. Some people have luck with instant cycles using bottled products, I've always found that you get the best results with 2 + weeks of water. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I wouldn't depend on a rapid cycle with bottled products, even Dr. Tim's.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't expect much in the first week unless you've added a bunch of good live rock. Some people have luck with instant cycles using bottled products, I've always found that you get the best results with 2 + weeks of water. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I wouldn't depend on a rapid cycle with bottled products, even Dr. Tim's.
Agree with all of this and cycled a tank this spring with Dr Tims.

It took a minute to get going but was very good in the long run.

Tip to OP: Lights off or low as long as you can stand it. Give this stuff a chance to go before algae.

OP
OP
I

iNTEL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand...Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly appreciate. :) I think I will sit tight see what happens in the upcoming days/weeks.

OP
OP
I

iNTEL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of this and cycled a tank this spring with Dr Tims.

It took a minute to get going but was very good in the long run.

Tip to OP: Lights off or low as long as you can stand it. Give this stuff a chance to go before algae.T
Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the lights running. Thank you!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand...Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly appreciate. :) I think I will sit tight see what happens in the upcoming days/weeks.
My suggestion, get a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start and add to the tank. IME Dr. Tims is often no better than not adding anything...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims can take a while. Try raising the temp to 81-82F or so or just adding some biospira (or fritz turbo). You may have also gotten a dead bottle (another reason why I don't like Dr Tim's as this doesn't happen with ones like biospira)

OP
OP
I

iNTEL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

Hope all is well... So finally as of Sunday I started to see some movement in the cycle. As of today ammonia is zero or close to it, however nitrites been pretty high since Sunday. Should I be of any concern at the point or let it ride? I know its a waiting process and I have the patience lol. Please see attachment of my water result from this morning.

Cheers Have a pleasant day.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 16

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

Hope all is well... So finally as of Sunday I started to see some movement in the cycle. As of today ammonia is zero or close to it, however nitrites been pretty high since Sunday. Should I be of any concern at the point or let it ride? I know its a waiting process and I have the patience lol. Please see attachment of my water result from this morning.

The nitrite is not a concern. Waiting is fine, or proceeding is fine.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

Where are trates?

OP
OP
I

iNTEL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are slowly going down as off today. I'll just wait it out. Thanks everyone for you help and guidance. Certainly appreciate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back