Five Ways to avoid rookie mistakes in reef keeping….

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read (yet again) :)

In regards to 'Reef Guruism', the old saying holds true "Show me" (your tank). The other critical question should be "How long has it been running". If a tank still looks great after many continuous years running, then that Reefer probably knows what he/she is doing ;)

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff Scott. Especially #5.

Tanks can definitely be emotional and sometimes it's just best to walk away from the tank before you want to "change that one little rock over there".
Three hours later; the rocks look the same, but there are broken corals on the bottom of your tank, your hands look like prunes, two ic gel tubes are gone and your fish don't know what to think.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read (yet again) :)

In regards to 'Reef Guruism', the old saying holds true "Show me" (your tank). The other critical question should be "How long has it been running". If a tank still looks great after many continuous years running, then that Reefer probably knows what he/she is doing ;)

Great followup questions!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff Scott. Especially #5.

Tanks can definitely be emotional and sometimes it's just best to walk away from the tank before you want to "change that one little rock over there".
Three hours later; the rocks look the same, but there are broken corals on the bottom of your tank, your hands look like prunes, two ic gel tubes are gone and your fish don't know what to think.

Man, I have been in that same place, Mark!

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a rookie!

And as a rookie I REALLY appreciate posts like this one! Most of this I knew, but it gets crazy in my brain as a newbie trying to remember and learn all the sw things I need to be successful, so having unique corals and the R2R community add in their 2 cents is awesome, and a wonderful reminder so the rookies don't kill off their first 4 fish lol. Great post !

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back