Flame Hawk Looking Pale

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk is a little pale atm not its usually colour obviously we just treated the tank as a few other wish had white spot we were advised to leave the treatment in there for 14 days for it to get around and hopefully help them all out its been 2 days since we have began the waiting process of 14 days as we have treated the tank the previous 4. My main question is my hawk is my favourite fish for sure with the medication going through the tank for 2 weeks is there a good chance of recovery?

Sorry cant get picture at the moment but if anyone can let me know if it'll recover as it still swims normal breathing doesnt seem a problem and comes up to my hand to eat
thankyou

Oh and all tests are good except phosphate which I'am dealing with at the moment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk is a little pale atm not its usually colour obviously we just treated the tank as a few other wish had white spot we were advised to leave the treatment in there for 14 days for it to get around and hopefully help them all out its been 2 days since we have began the waiting process of 14 days as we have treated the tank the previous 4. My main question is my hawk is my favourite fish for sure with the medication going through the tank for 2 weeks is there a good chance of recovery?

Sorry cant get picture at the moment but if anyone can let me know if it'll recover as it still swims normal breathing doesnt seem a problem and comes up to my hand to eat
thankyou

Oh and all tests are good except phosphate which I'am dealing with at the moment

What treatment did you add to the tank?
A picture would tell us the relative severity of the problem.
Jay

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What treatment did you add to the tank?
A picture would tell us the relative severity of the problem.
Jay
we used vertonex for 4 days but my tank was wiped out in 4 days including this one that died 2 days ago im really unsure what caused this and what disease it is didn't look like marine velvet and was told by the shop owners its most likely not and could be some disease starting with a p sorry i forgot but 2nd time now my tanks been wiped out and both times it was around the same time i introduced a blue tang so thinking from now on im staying well clear of tangs i love them but i cant afford to keep losing fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
aquasonic vertonex is a malachite green based protozoan treatment which may affect sensitive fish especially tangs and angels and must be used precisely requiring periodic water changes twice a week and may or may not have had impact on the fish

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has worked previously on white spot we had with the clowns my mistake this time is i left the skimmer on and it removed most of it the first time so we had to re dose as it was getting worse and from the instructions on the bottle it says a major water change is needed 14 days after your last dose but our fish didn't make it more then 5 days.
We're still trying to understand what disease did this just waiting to hear back from a few

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we used vertonex for 4 days but my tank was wiped out in 4 days including this one that died 2 days ago im really unsure what caused this and what disease it is didn't look like marine velvet and was told by the shop owners its most likely not and could be some disease starting with a p sorry i forgot but 2nd time now my tanks been wiped out and both times it was around the same time i introduced a blue tang so thinking from now on im staying well clear of tangs i love them but i cant afford to keep losing fish

Sorry to hear.

Velvet (Amyloodinium) causes rapid breathing in fish, closely followed by their death. I'm not sure what disease starts with the letter P. Pisicola and Pseudomonas are the only two I know, and that isn't either of those.

I looked up Vertonex (we don't have it in the US). It is an odd combination of quinine and malachite green. It says it is safe for invertebrates, but it will NOT be safe at a dose required to properly treat protozoan fish diseases. We see this a lot in the US - because of the strong pressure for customers to produce medications that are "reef safe" these companies reduce the dosage of known treatment drugs, but that in turn renders them ineffective against parasites.

Jay

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back