Flatworm ID

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like the little brown ones but would like confirmation. I run SPS, Zoa, Paly's, one Frogspawn and one Duncan. Couple Ricordea Mushrooms too. Two clowns, one YWG. Would these pose a threat to any of them? Also if I need to eradicate them, what is the best method to not lose livestock/coral?

Flatworm1.jpg Flatworm2.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aefw = Acro Eating Flat Worm? My first experience with these little buggers so still learning acronyms lol
Yup you got it! Those are the worst. Check to see if these are on your coral. Another baddie is the Convolutriloba and the waminoa

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any unhappy corals. Aside from the two I accidently knocked off moving stuff around the other day.... That's on me though.

Been watching the corals on the flesh closely as these are tiny, few millimeters at most. Haven't seen any on them. Think they're mainly eating algae off the glass and surfaces from what I can tell. I Just see a flatworm though and immediately worry lol Also I've seen them in the tank for months, but they seem to be breeding recently.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any unhappy corals. Aside from the two I accidently knocked off moving stuff around the other day.... That's on me though.

Been watching the corals on the flesh closely as these are tiny, few millimeters at most. Haven't seen any on them. Think they're mainly eating algae off the glass and surfaces from what I can tell. I Just see a flatworm though and immediately worry lol Also I've seen them in the tank for months, but they seem to be breeding recently.

Fortunately there are not a lot that are common in the hobby and directly harm coral. AEFW and polyclad flatworms are probably the main ones in the hobby that are directly harmful to coral and yours are neither of those.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately there are not a lot that are common in the hobby and directly harm coral. AEFW and polyclad flatworms are probably the main ones in the hobby that are directly harmful to coral and yours are neither of those.
Excellent thank you. I know there are thousands of variations so an exact ID isn't needed. I'm just trying to confirm if I need to remove them or not. Sounds like I should keep an eye on them for awhile, coral too, but likely just part of the CUC now :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been watching the corals on the flesh closely as these are tiny, few millimeters at most. Haven't seen any on them. Think they're mainly eating algae off the glass and surfaces from what I can tell. I Just see a flatworm though and immediately worry lol
They always give me a good scare haha ive come across a few over the years and if you find a predator, you’ll hardly see them.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thank you. I know there are thousands of variations so an exact ID isn't needed. I'm just trying to confirm if I need to remove them or not. Sounds like I should keep an eye on them for awhile, coral too, but likely just part of the CUC now :)
Exactly they’re part cuc eating your waste and part unsightly bugs feeding off your light.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the same ones pop up in my nano. If they are increasing in numbers or the amount starts to bother you, I just sucked out lots using a small aeration tube during my last water change. They suck right up. It’s a little time consuming but also fun to talk a little trash with each one that goes down the tube.
kel mitchell summer GIF by Nickelodeon

“See ya sucka” ;) :squinting-face-with-tongue::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't too bad yet, just noticed them recently but I've also been running my fuge less and letting more nutrients in the DT. Actually starting to go back to long photo periods to bring it back down. Still dialing this tank in. Really appreciate all the input!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aefw and coral smothering flat worms (waminoas) didnt give flatworms a bad rap, then they would be looked at like pods. A good food source for finicky eaters
I just had the same ones pop up in my nano. If they are increasing in numbers or the amount starts to bother you, I just sucked out lots using a small aeration tube during my last water change. They suck right up. It’s a little time consuming but also fun to talk a little trash with each one that goes down the tube.
kel mitchell summer GIF by Nickelodeon

“See ya sucka” ;) :squinting-face-with-tongue::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
haha yea I’m hoping a blue velvet nudi takes a liking to mine. I want to watch as they get eaten alive

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha let me know how that works out!!!!
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF

I might have to get me one of those as well!!! Someone said arrow crabs can work too but can go after fish I think. I don’t have fish in the flatworm tank, so that’s not a problem.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha let me know how that works out!!!!
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF

I might have to get me one of those as well!!! Someone said arrow crabs can work too but can go after fish I think. I don’t have fish in the flatworm tank, so that’s not a problem.
Yea I heard about those crabs and they look wicked! That’ll be plan C if this plan B fails

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acoel also known as ghost flatworm
While they are not a threat like with red planaria, they can be a nuisance in numbers. They in numbers will smother stem of coral blocking the beneficial lighting needed for production of zooxanthellae which is the building blocks for coral growth and color
best methods to rid of them:
if few, siphon with 3/8" tubing

If quite a few, add a wrasse which will eat them such as:
Lunare
6 line
Yellow coris
melanurus

Or Springieri damsel

Also inspect the corals next 14 days for presence of eggs which are really tiny

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Would any of those, if small, be alright in a 20g temporarily? I plan on getting a 75g in about 7-8 months and start cycling that. So likely about a year before it's ready. Would it outgrow?

I have 2 Wyoming White Clowns (still juveniles but bonding), 1 Yellow Watchman Goby. I do weekly 10% changes (in lieu of dosing atm) and I run a small skimmer. Not a huge bioload. Couple peppermint shrimp for cleanup and an emerald crab I will likely remove. Not enough natural algae and such for him, having to feed him nori.

I've been planning on adding one more fish, but hadn't decided. Wouldn't mind something to eat those and/or pods. Soooo many pods lol

Also what color are the eggs?

Back