Fleece Roller for 500+ gallon system

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am designing my next aquarium upgrade. Display tank will be in the 500 gallon range, two 80 gallon lowboy frag tanks, on a 160gallon sump, mostly refugium, External Skimmer. It is going to be a mixed reef but heavier on sticks.

My question is what are the best Fleece rollers for big setups, I was thinking two of the red sea larger models or clarisea larger models would work, I like a slower flow through the sump and heavier flow in the tank from the powerheads.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this may have changes, when I was looking last year the only larger rollers I could find were built into the trigger sumps and I didnt want their sumps.

I ended up with a MRC infiniti roller since I was getting a bunch of other MRC equipment, and it was the only one capable of handling over 1500 GPH ( I was targeting 3000)

I like it and it works great, but is expensive.

Depending on your system requirements I would look into multiple smaller units like the red sea's.

Either way you go precon filters has "not name brand" rolls cut to size to keep the operating costs down.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon display with a 75 gallon sump and i use a single red sea 1200. I also aim for slower flow through the sump. It works great and I get 2 months out of a single roll. I would think two 1200's would be fine for your system depending on your flow rates.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bro just get some 7" 100 micron filter socks. You will have a fuge so the pods will handle you swapping out the socks once a month. I usually let them go a month and I don't even have a fuge. You need to be dialed in to allow this action. I'd empty weekly until my nutrients balanced and you figure out exactly how much food you need and then automate it.

Filter rollers are a fad that comes and goes every decade just like most of the other crap they try making us feel that we need to be success. Less is more...

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL if you arnt changing your socks every 3-4 days you may as well not even use them.

I did socks for years and got sick of washing and changing them all the time. Rollers are MUCH easier to deal with.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 375 display, 300 gallon sump, 50 gallon fuge/skimmer tank and 2 75 gallon frag tanks all plumbed together. I would also agree with the filter sock usage. Much cheaper then the roller, easier to take on or offline when needed. I change them out every night when the pumps shut down for the nightly feeding. I usually do chemiclean quarterly and the socks make that much easier as well. I am not sure how the rollers would handle all the extra foam. Just my experience here using the socks.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gallon display with a lowboy tank fed into it I was thinking of going with a Fleece Roller as I use 4 30" long socks for my drains ( 1/1/2" PVC pipes into 50 gallon Brute holding tank)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back