Fluconazole: Questionable ingredients?

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good results dosing fluconazole but it usually starts reappearing in the same spots a year later. I purchased a different brand from what I've used before but it has these inactive ingredients that the others didn't have.

MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE
ANHYDROUS DIBASIC CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
POVIDONE K30
CROSCARMELLOSE SODIUM
FD&C RED NO. 40
MAGNESIUM STEARATE

With limited knowledge, calcium phosphate is a concern but I'm not sure about the others. No luck googling either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those seem a significant concern to me at the levels you'd encounter. Most will settle out since they will not be soluble, so if you make a solution and dose just the clear fluid, you'd avoid most of them anyway.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those seem a significant concern to me at the levels you'd encounter. Most will settle out since they will not be soluble, so if you make a solution and dose just the clear fluid, you'd avoid most of them anyway.
Is there a reason why some manufacturers would add these and not others?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good results dosing fluconazole but it usually starts reappearing in the same spots a year later. I purchased a different brand from what I've used before but it has these inactive ingredients that the others didn't have.

MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE
ANHYDROUS DIBASIC CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
POVIDONE K30
CROSCARMELLOSE SODIUM
FD&C RED NO. 40
MAGNESIUM STEARATE

With limited knowledge, calcium phosphate is a concern but I'm not sure about the others. No luck googling either.
Your OP didn't say why you are dosing this in the first place. Can I ask why and what is showing up??

Edit: for GHA?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why some manufacturers would add these and not others?

Presumably these are tablets or capsules?

Such formulation ingredients generally need to be added to make the materials flow into the molds and hold together as a tablet after molding.

Any tablets you take will have such ingredients. It's a big job of drug development people to find what works best given the nature of the drug, etc.

The color is likely there to help patients recognize the tablets compared to others they may take to be sure they are taking the right thing. Taking the wrong medicine is a substantial problem when people take 5 or 10 different meds a day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I expect all tablets have some of these sorts of formulation ingredients and ones that don't list them are either powders in a packet, or just do not mention them but still have them.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Such formulation ingredients generally need to be added to make the materials flow into the molds and hold together as a tablet after molding.

Any tablets you take will have such ingredients. It's a big job of drug development people to find what works best given the nature of the drug, etc.

The color is likely there to help patients recognize the tablets compared to others they may take to be sure they are taking the right thing. Taking the wrong medicine is a substantial problem when people take 5 or 10 different meds a day.
Thanks. Pharmaceuticals are heavily regulated in South Africa so I thought each ingredient would be clearly stated with the other brands

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I expect all tablets have some of these sorts of formulation ingredients and ones that don't list them are either powders in a packet, or just do not mention them but still have the

The color is likely there to help patients recognize the tablets compared to others they may take to be sure they are taking the right thing. Taking the wrong medicine is a substantial problem when people take 5 or 10 different meds a
A small group here had very bad results, could any of these ingredients have contributed to this?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Pharmacist by trade. All capsules and tablets have an inactive ingredient set that is not pronouncable at best. Some of these are added as binding agents, while others are added to make medications unpalatable to kids looking for their parents' 'candy'. Some are added to MASK bitter taste. Coloring agents are added as part of an identification scheme (as well as tablet imprints). Yet other meds are combined with agents that allow 'activation' when they hit the liver (called a prodrug). As stated above even powders have inactive ingredients. And, also of great importance, some of these hidden ingredients will extend the expiration date to something more acceptable in the industry
(on the order of years rather than months, days or even hours). No way around it folks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small group here had very bad results, could any of these ingredients have contributed to this?

I think that is very unlikely.

What was the bad result?

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Pharmacist by trade. All capsules and tablets have an inactive ingredient set that is not pronouncable at best. Some of these are added as binding agents, while others are added to make medications unpalatable to kids looking for their parents' 'candy'. Some are added to MASK bitter taste. Coloring agents are added as part of an identification scheme (as well as tablet imprints). Yet other meds are combined with agents that allow 'activation' when they hit the liver (called a prodrug). As stated above even powders have inactive ingredients. And, also of great importance, some of these hidden ingredients will extend the expiration date to something more acceptable in the industry
(on the order of years rather than months, days or even hours). No way around it folks!
Thanks for the info

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back