Fluval evo 13.5 or waterbox 20?

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently there is only £50ish between the two. The evo is £150 and WB is £199 and both are similar set ups. The only difference is that of course the waterbox doesn’t come with a light so I would have to source one.

The waterbox is 75 litres and the Fluval is 52 litres so while not a massive difference it’s more for a similar amount of space.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Waterbox 20 all the way. I absolutely adore mine. The Fluval is a lot smaller so you have less room for fish and corals plus the Fluval stock lights isn’t that strong or good so you are much better getting a better high quality light like an AI Prime or Radion.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 20 all the way. I absolutely adore mine. The Fluval is a lot smaller so you have less room for fish and corals plus the Fluval stock lights isn’t that strong or good so you are much better getting a better high quality light like an AI Prime or Radion.

Oh nice. Did you have to do anymore upgrades? Was the stock pump ok?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh nice. Did you have to do anymore upgrades? Was the stock pump ok?
Yes the stock pump works great. I added an AI Prime light and I didn’t buy the stand from them I had one custom made. Be aware that you either have to buy their stand, make your own, or get one made as most generic mass manufactured aquariums stands are not wide enough since it’s a wider than a standard rectangular tank. And most typical pieces of furniture will not be strong enough longterm to support it.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the stock pump works great. I added an AI Prime light and I didn’t buy the stand from them I had one custom made. Be aware that you either have to buy their stand, make your own, or get one made as most generic mass manufactured aquariums stands are not wide enough since it’s a wider than a standard rectangular tank. And most typical pieces of furniture will not be strong enough longterm to support it.
It will be going on something like this with the top covered. Just trying to find out the maximum weight.

Light wise I’ll try get something used maybe a kessil if I can’t find a prime. I don’t want to grow anything sps or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 12

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently there is only £50ish between the two. The evo is £150 and WB is £199 and both are similar set ups. The only difference is that of course the waterbox doesn’t come with a light so I would have to source one.

The waterbox is 75 litres and the Fluval is 52 litres so while not a massive difference it’s more for a similar amount of space.

I would honestly say go with the Waterbox if you can! Unless you are tight on space. I really like my 13.5, it sits on my dresser. However, I am greatly limited with the real estate I have available. The 20 will give you more room for rocks/coral, and maybe an extra fish or two over the 13.5! The stock fluval light isn't the best, I upgraded mine to the prime 16hd pretty soon. The stock light also might not be the best light for the coral you might add, that's another reason. I wouldn't let the waterbox not including a light stop you!

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly say go with the Waterbox if you can! Unless you are tight on space. I really like my 13.5, it sits on my dresser. However, I am greatly limited with the real estate I have available. The 20 will give you more room for rocks/coral, and maybe an extra fish or two over the 13.5! The stock fluval light isn't the best, I upgraded mine to the prime 16hd pretty soon. The stock light also might not be the best light for the coral you might add, that's another reason. I wouldn't let the waterbox not including a light stop you!
Thanks! I’m def considering it. It’s just finding something to put the wb on. The cabinet I was going to put the tank on says max weight is 50kg so I’m guessing the wb would be well over that.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m def considering it. It’s just finding something to put the wb on. The cabinet I was going to put the tank on says max weight is 50kg so I’m guessing the wb would be well over that.
Hmm yeah, the wb might have some more weight. If shape/size/weight is an issue, the 13.5 is not a bad tank!

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm yeah, the wb might have some more weight. If shape/size/weight is an issue, the 13.5 is not a bad tank!
Yeah looks like I’ll be going with the 13.5 but with a better return pump. I’m currently thinking two small clowns and a tail spot blenny with a cleaning shrimp and cuc. How does that sound do you think?

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like I’ll be going with the 13.5 but with a better return pump. I’m currently thinking two small clowns and a tail spot blenny with a cleaning shrimp and cuc. How does that sound do you think?
That sounds like a perfect stock! I currently have a pair of juvenile clowns, a royal gramma, a watchman goby, and a fire shrimp (+CUC). My tank is pretty full, and some people would say that 4 fish is pushing it. I think 2 clowns and a blenny would be great! Some would say to add the blenny first, and then the clowns. I had my clowns as the first fish in the tank and had no issue. I think @WalkerLoves_TheOcean also said his blenny was the bully lol. Let me know if you need any suggestions or help!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sounds like a perfect stock! I currently have a pair of juvenile clowns, a royal gramma, a watchman goby, and a fire shrimp (+CUC). My tank is pretty full, and some people would say that 4 fish is pushing it. I think 2 clowns and a blenny would be great! Some would say to add the blenny first, and then the clowns. I had my clowns as the first fish in the tank and had no issue. I think @WalkerLoves_TheOcean also said his blenny was the bully lol. Let me know if you need any suggestions or help!
Yup, haha. My tailspot is bullying my single clown. I think with a pair you should be fine, OP. Your stocking list seems great. Just make sure to add plenty of rock and hiding spaces!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back