Foxface getting scared after lights out

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just moved into a new apartment and the tank is in the living room. The lights come on at 10am and go off at 10pm, whenever the tank lights are off and I have the living room or kitchen lights on my foxface gets really scared and starts swimming from end to end very fast and last night splashed some water up. He never did this in my old place when the tank was in my bedroom, I also had a little night stand light on after tank lights off but not near as bright as the living room lights now. Any ideas why he would get spooked from just ambient lights being on after tank lights off? All other fish don’t care at all and continue to keep sleeping but for some reason he gets really spooked from it

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also guess that the other fish might be spooked a little too, they're just smarter and hide when they feel threatened as opposed to freaking out like fox faces, lol. (Mine does the splashing and zooms around the tank at times too)

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started this about a month ago with no changes to the setup at all. Then last week jumped over my head during feeding. Not sure what's going on with it but I think it's time for a new home. Isn't the hobby hard enough without getting stabed in the eye for just walking by the tank?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started this about a month ago with no changes to the setup at all. Then last week jumped over my head during feeding. Not sure what's going on with it but I think it's time for a new home. Isn't the hobby hard enough without getting stabed in the eye for just walking by the tank?
Sorry to hear you have to give him away! And yes for sure, there is always something new

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. These fish get spooked easily. When the light outside the tank is brighter than inside, they can see out and can react to your movement.
Any ideas on how to fix it? Maybe with time it will get better?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how to fix it? Maybe with time it will get better?
Probably won't get better, IME. You could try adjusting the tank lighting schedule so they come on later and stay on until closer to your bedtime...

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your lights ramp up in the am and down at night? If the lights just turn on and off abruptly the fish can freak out. If they dim they have time to hide before it gets dark.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your lights ramp up in the am and down at night? If the lights just turn on and off abruptly the fish can freak out. If they dim they have time to hide before it gets dark.
Yes they ramp up and down for about 3 hours

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they ramp up and down for about 3 hours
My power went out in the middle of the night yesterday. I have a Photon LED light and when you first plug it in (or when the power comes back on) it runs through each of the colors. My FF was completely freaked when the tank and light started up again... I heard him hit the lid as he was racing around the tank!

He's fine (at least no injuries from the freak out) but I don't think he'll ever NOT be flakey! Lol

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My power went out in the middle of the night yesterday. I have a Photon LED light and when you first plug it in (or when the power comes back on) it runs through each of the colors. My FF was completely freaked when the tank and light started up again... I heard him hit the lid as he was racing around the tank!

He's fine (at least no injuries from the freak out) but I don't think he'll ever NOT be flakey! Lol
My foxface is the largest fish in my tank of 18 other fish... he is the scaredy cat out of all of them lol :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back