Foxface with HLLE and Bacterial Infection?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this foxface for a couple of months now.. He went through tank transfer for Ich as well as all other tank mates he is with in the 180. Went through Prazipro treatments as well. I believe it has something to do with my Achilles, the foxface often tries to hang out in the same rock cave area as him..

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419886584.703309.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419886597.729872.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell anything definitive from the pics. Can you describe the symptoms you believe are HLLE/bacterial disease?

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a white puff(s) along where I assume their "lateral line" is. Doesn't get them anywhere else on the body.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1420230550.292302.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, cloudy eyes along with the other issues.

Cloudy eyes (in both eyes) is a definite symptom of a bacterial infection. I would treat in QT with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Furan-2. Or erythromycin would probably get the job done as well.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eyes (in both eyes) is a definite symptom of a bacterial infection. I would treat in QT with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Furan-2. Or erythromycin would probably get the job done as well.

Thank you.. I read up on bacterial infections and read some of the symptoms just wanted someone to note in relation with the photo's. It has appeared the cloudiness of the eyes has cleared up in a sense. I will set up one of my QT in the meantime. Fortunately this will be a first for me as far as treating bacterial infections are concerned.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. I read up on bacterial infections and read some of the symptoms just wanted someone to note in relation with the photo's. It has appeared the cloudiness of the eyes has cleared up in a sense. I will set up one of my QT in the meantime. Fortunately this will be a first for me as far as treating bacterial infections are concerned.

Bacterial infections are tricky. Some are less serious, can sometimes be overcome by a fish's natural immune system (gram positive); some are deadly and almost always require antibiotics (gram negative). Typically, the latter is found in newly acquired fish while the former happens to established fish. Also, bacterial infections are often "secondary" to a preexisting parasitic infestation. For example, it's not usually ich which kills a fish but the infection which often accompanies it. Immune system can't handle fighting off both simultaneously.

Typically, one cloudy eye denotes an injury of some sort - two cloudy eyes equals infection. As you are observing, it can go back & forth from cloudy to clear as the immune system tries to handle it. The danger is if you wait too long to give the immune system a boost by administering antibiotics, the fish can lose the eye/go blind. If a fish loses both eyes, that's basically a death sentence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial infections are tricky. Some are less serious, can sometimes be overcome by a fish's natural immune system (gram positive); some are deadly, require antibiotics (gram negative). Typically, the latter is found in newly acquired fish while the former happens to established fish. Also, bacterial infections are often "secondary" to a preexisting parasitic infection. For example, it's not usually ich which kills a fish but the infection which often accompanies it. Immune system can't handle fighting off both simultaneously.

Typically, one cloudy eye denotes an injury of some sort - two cloudy eyes equals infection. As you are observing, it can go back & forth from cloudy to clear as the immune system tries to handle it. The danger is if you wait too long to give the immune system a boost by administering antibiotics, the fish can lose the eye/go blind. If a fish loses both eyes, that's basically a death sentence.

Good to know, he's been with me for a little over a month now. He came direct from wholesale and didn't get put in any disease infested LFS water fortunately. Did tank transfer for possible ich so fortunately he does not have to deal with that. Finally he was treated with Prazipro.

I'll get him over to QT and treat him with some antibiotics.

Thank you for the input!

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other thing is the white puffed areas are lymphocystis looking. Just not sure if cloudy eyes are part of that.. I've had no experience with either. Just know lymphocystis the fish generally overcome it within weeks, apparently.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something just struck me. I feel stupid not realizing it sooner. Foxfaces naturally have cloudy eyes. :squigglemouth:

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something just struck me. I feel stupid not realizing it sooner. Foxfaces naturally have cloudy eyes. :squigglemouth:

I was just going to say the same thing. They do indeed have cloudy eyes all of the time. Do not treat because of this!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to say the same thing. They do indeed have cloudy eyes all of the time. Do not treat because of this!

Agreed! And the white stuff is probably just Lymphocystis, a virus which usually goes away on it's own. Soaking the fish food in vitamin supplements (ex. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) usually expedites the "going away" process. Sorry about the mixup!

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol glad to know it is most likely my one thought of Lymphocystis. I have some vitachem and zoecon that I will drop in with the food.

Thanks

Back