Frag Swap Tips

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, those Saturday I’ll be attending AquaShella. I was wondering what tips or tricks anyone has on frag swaps? I already know to bring a cooler for the corals.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring cash. I don’t think I’ve been to a swap where the vendor didn’t take cards but they’re more likely to deal when you’re paying with cash. On a similar note, don’t be afraid to haggle a bit. Don’t be a turd and offer them half price but vendors in this hobby are typically friendly and looking to make deals.

Best piece of advice I have is to do a full lap before buying something. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been burned by seeing what I want at the first vendor, scooping it up, and seeing it for substantially less a few aisles later.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cash has already been mentioned, so I will say wear comfortable shoes!

Remember...deals can be better towards the end of the show - many don't want to drag the stuff back home.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 30mins of the swap, vendors want to pack up and travel back with as LITTLE corals as possible.

+1 on Cash bc vendors have to pay ss much as a 5% credit card processing fee. Plus Cash they dont have to report as income on taxes. You'll get better deals with cash

With 30mins left jump on the corals you've had your eye on (if they're still left) and make a reasonable offer less than their asking price

Try a bundled deal.... if you see two corals for $50 each.... offer to buy both for $70 C.A.S.H.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring cash. I don’t think I’ve been to a swap where the vendor didn’t take cards but they’re more likely to deal when you’re paying with cash. On a similar note, don’t be afraid to haggle a bit. Don’t be a turd and offer them half price but vendors in this hobby are typically friendly and looking to make deals.

Best piece of advice I have is to do a full lap before buying something. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been burned by seeing what I want at the first vendor, scooping it up, and seeing it for substantially less a few aisles later.
What’s the most % you would ask off?

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scan as many booths first before buying. I've been to one where I bought the same piece for nearly twice what another booth was selling it for. Also like to look for pieces that have healed (not fresh cut/glued pieces).

And if you're like me...bring only however much you're willing to spend...cuz you'll spend it all.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take extra ziplock bags in your cooler. Also write the vendor name on the Coral bag. Take pics when you get home so you can order from the vendor in the future.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree on getting a good survey on the land before making a purchase with 1 exception... If there's any MUST-HAVE coral or livestock you want, don't wait to buy. It will probably not be there when you go back. :rolleyes:;Drowning

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it helps to have a list of what you want. It's easy to get overwhelmed with alot of vendors. I second buying a piece you really like as said above it'll be gone when you return and that's the worst feeling lol.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the write the vendors name on the bag/bottle of the coral. I'm still kicking myself because I can't remember who was selling discounted jawbreakers at the last swap I went to. If it's a must have coral, jump on it. I waited to buy a torch frag for $20 thinking "they have like 20 frags I'll just grab one later" went back 30 minutes later and the guy in front of me bought the last one. Bring some bottled water, it can get warm and humid with all of those open top aquariums set up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Former Pet store owner here who attended many swaps and trade shows.

1 - Get a map and map out your most important to least important stops and number them with #1 being most important.
2 - Verify your available credit and yes, bring cash also. Cash is king and can often get you a 10-20% discount
3 - Wear shoes that will not start getting your feet aching in a few short hours
4 - Bring bottle water. You will build a thirst especially with conversing with many vendors.
5 - Write down your questions in advance prior to visiting booths and manufacture reps
6 - Ask for samples BUT do not stock up on them ( remember there are other aquarists who too would like to try new products)
7 - The first coral you see will repeat with different prices. SHOP AROUND !!! Write down booth # that was of interest and go back to it if you cant find a better deal
8 - Inspect before you buy. If something goes wrong, you will likely have no chance of credits or returns.
9 - Bags do leak. Bring extra fish bags in case of leaks especially discovered when you get to your vehicle
10 - Bring Styro... big and small ones and also Ice packs as it will be Very warm in Chicago Saturday and Sunday.
11 - If bringing the kids, bring them activities such as laptop, ipad or handheld video games. Will make their day just as fun

GET GOOD SLEEP AND REST AS IT WILL MAKE THE DAY SEEM NOT AS LONG. I am staying at a hotel the night before to assure this.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give respect to the vendors. So much that we do is a labor of love. Vendors are an integral aspect of the hobby. Yes we can make deals but consider that like your tanks the buyer/seller/livestock/dry goods/information is all part of our ecosystem. Keep a good thing going

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give respect to the vendors. So much that we do is a labor of love. Vendors are an integral aspect of the hobby. Yes we can make deals but consider that like your tanks the buyer/seller/livestock/dry goods/information is all part of our ecosystem. Keep a good thing going
I’m so thankful for the vendors. They help make all the products way more accessible, and get all the hard work done for us so that we can enjoy our corals.

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the write the vendors name on the bag/bottle of the coral. I'm still kicking myself because I can't remember who was selling discounted jawbreakers at the last swap I went to. If it's a must have coral, jump on it. I waited to buy a torch frag for $20 thinking "they have like 20 frags I'll just grab one later" went back 30 minutes later and the guy in front of me bought the last one. Bring some bottled water, it can get warm and humid with all of those open top aquariums set up.

Was the show in Illinois buddy?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Was the show in Illinois buddy?
It is THIS coming weekend August 17 & 18th 2018 in Lisle, Illinois just outside of O'Hare area

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see, I thought you were referring to a past show when you said "jawbreakers at the last swap".

What's the name of the show this coming weekend in Lisle?
Aqyashella and its' Huge

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 84 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back